HybridZ

Is this swap even possible?

NDFarmer

Hey guys, first post here I know, I've been lurking and browsing through all the great information on your forum for a year or so now but decided to create an account to ask about this.

So last year I managed to find a pretty clean 280Z, and the plan is to eventually get it 2JZ and also manual swapped, preferably 6 speed. So here's the question, is it possible to put a 2JZ and a T56 Magnum (TR-6060) into a Z car? I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any info about this so I assume not, but I was curious as to what the issues with the swap are as I see some people putting T56s behind LS's and there's also T56 swap kits for 2JZs in Supra's.

I know rear end ratios could be an issue, but I like the idea of the T56 in case I decide to go for big(ish) power, now or down the road.  Now just to be clear I have no experience with these cars, this would be my first major build if it were to happen, which it won't for a while, I'm just curious if this swap is feasible or not.

Thanks for any help!

Any swap is possible, it just depends on the work you want to do. There are 2JZ crossmembers for sale that make the engine swap pretty easy, and a T56 swap has been done a lot, though I don't know it anyone has put one behind a 2j into a Z. You'll have to do some hammering on the tunnel and make a custom crossmember, but that's not too difficult. Hoke Performance makes T56 crossmembers if you want to just drill holes. 

I assume NDFarmer means North Dakota? What part? I grew up there. 

T56 is a possibility.  Look at the ratios and make sure you're happy with it.

You can get just the kit.  Not sure how much tunnel work will be required to make it fit though.  You might want to research the shifter they offer with it.  Not sure where that sucker pops out.  I know there are two other possible shifter that can mate with the T56 that will sit further forward. But the one they offer might be the right one.  Will require some legwork on your end. 

https://www.grannasracing.com/products/quicktime-2jz-to-t56-bellhousing-rm-4030

Or have them ship you the whole enchilada with a brand new T56 Magnum:

https://www.grannasracing.com/products/supra-t56-magnum-swap-kit-mkiv-2jz-tr6060

That said there is a guy in youtube land that has one mated to a 2J in an SC300 that had some issues with one.  Not sure how applicable it is to your application but thought you might take a peek.  Guy is annoying but there might be some useful info in there.

Good luck.

That grannas racing website appears to be using the sikky remote shifter (https://www.sikky.com/product/t56-shifter-relocation-kit/) which I've read can feel vague due to the remote mount. The new fbody Magnum coming out would definitely be a step in the right direction.

A brand new CD009 is like $1700 from Nissan though and would hold up really well.

Thanks for all the advice, that new Magnum F looks pretty sweet!

23 hours ago, calZ said:

I assume NDFarmer means North Dakota? What part? I grew up there. 

It does, south central in the middle of nowhere, on a farm... What part did you come from?

4 hours ago, seattlejester said:

I'm pretty sure we have someone on the forum doing something pretty similar although I think his is from a late model mustang.

Is there a build thread? I must have missed it while searching :(

Unfortunately there's no car scene around me, and no tracks or events either so this would pretty much just be a street car, so gearing a little on the high side isn't the worst thing in the world, although I was also planning on doing a diff swap as well to try to get the final ratios back down a little bit, probably some form of R200 or R230.

So does the amount of CD009 swaps mean it fits better or is just geared better?

As far as making it fit in the tunnel and crossmembers goes, I don't mind hacking this car up a bit to make it fit, it's an auto trans car to begin with so I'd have to cut it, unless I happen to stumble across a manual shell first anyway.

Thanks for any help, also sorry if I made this thread in the wrong section, move it if you want.

Edited by NDFarmer

I don't think the gearing really is the reason for more swaps, I think it's just it's an import transmission, holds lots of power and brand new costs about as much as a used T56.

CD009            3.79 2.32 1.62 1.27 1.00 0.79 and reverse 3.45

T56  Wide      2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 0.80 0.62 and reverse 3.28

T56 Narrow  2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.74 0.50 and reverse 2.90

4 hours ago, NDFarmer said:

It does, south central in the middle of nowhere, on a farm... What part did you come from?

As far as making it fit in the tunnel and crossmembers goes, I don't mind hacking this car up a bit to make it fit, it's an auto trans car to begin with so I'd have to cut it, unless I happen to stumble across a manual shell first anyway. 

Just south of Sakakawea. I went to HS in Hazen. 

There's a guy in Montana selling what looks like a decent Series 1 shell if you're really after one. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/995586513795146?view=permalink&id=2481289638558152&fs=2&focus_composer=0&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity

Not sure if that link will work or not. 

For a street car it's nice to have taller final ratio.  I had an STi with a close ratio box.  Highway speeds was in sixth at 3200 RPM.  That was why I looked at the T56.  I wished the CD00A was a bit closer to the T56 wide.

3.56 diff (common for R200) + 25" tires @ 75 MPH

CD00A = 2835 RPM

T56 Wide = 2225 RPM

T56 Narrow = 1795 RPM

The T56 also has a speed output that the CD00A is lacking.  Not as big a deal with modern GPS speedo available.  The T56 is definitely the more expensive solution going apples to apples.  

You'll have to scroll down or go back a few pages or it maybe in the build section, pretty sure it was a TKO. Nelsonian maybe?

I think the CD00X are still made where the older T56 usually used for swaps stopped in early 2000. I found CD's for like $700 in multiple locations with a warranty. Friend took his to a shop to have it machined for his swap and they asked if it was new with how clean it was, both had over 100,000 miles. T56 were going for no less than double that with no warranty, as is status.

Collins makes a couple adapter kits, I think the cheapest variant is like $1000 for an adapter plate, flywheel, adapter parts and clutch. They do a swap now with the automatic bell housing from the JZ and it is even easier to fit, install, etc in that form.

Throw in triple syncro, 6 gears, lots of clutch choices, and there is a lot to like. Several people push these into like 800hp territory or higher.

Downfall is size and gearing. It is massive, especially the bell housing, and the gearing is pretty short. It would be a better fit with a ford 8.8 with like a 3.1 or a 3.3. With a 3.7 I turn a little under 3k at pretty fast cruise. Keep in mind still gets pretty good milage on a JZ even at that RPM.

21 hours ago, calZ said:

Just south of Sakakawea. I went to HS in Hazen.

Not sure if that link will work or not. 

Cool man, I'm south east of Bismarck a little ways. Also that link didn't work...

Thanks for the info about the CD00X transmissions, I'll take a look at some other build threads with those and read up on them some more, it sounds like something to consider, price is always a factor but that T56 Wide gearing still looks tempting. It might end up being a case of what parts I can find reasonably priced by the time it comes around to doing the build.

Have a good rest of the 4th

I'm putting one behind my JZ. You'll want a 4.1 or higher final drive if you want normal gearing with most of the available gear ratios. Shifter alignment with the stock hole is actually pretty good. Especially when you get the motor as far back in the engine bay as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to thread jack here but what are you guys using for a clutch master?

im swapping in a 2jzge and cd001 into a 82 na auto car I can’t find any information about it so I’m assuming stock?

just wanted to make sure while I’m on the while I’m at it phase lol.

thanks in advance looking forward to your guys reply’s.