HybridZ

Upgrade L28 CAM and ITBs

ccc

Hey I have a fuel injected L28 with a megasquirt ECU.

I'm leaning towards a mild cam upgrade, OER ITBs, and headers/exhaust. 

My one question is if there is anything I am missing between doing both the CAM and ITBs. Are they going to be working against each other when it comes to performance? will it bog down in a certain RPM range?

the CAM

the ITBs

It really comes down to the ECU and the tune you'll be running. I don't see why the cam and the ITB's will be at odds with each other, you might loose a little bit of low end with the 45mm bodies, but should be good to tune out. 100% you'll need a good tuner and a lot of logging to get these things running correctly. Should make for a rad engine!

I would suggest you don't go mild on the cam. People tend to undercam L series. I had a .490/280 cam which I ran on a stock compression L28 with SU's and it was great. When I moved up to triple 44s I felt like I needed more cam. Then I went to a higher compression shortblock and I REALLY needed a bigger cam (wouldn't run on pump gas). Never got around to it and went V8 instead, but I was looking for something in the 300 to 310 duration range. 

Fat fingered the reply.

There are a ton of variables that will play into bogging or regressive performance. If you open up one aspect of a breathing motor, another aspect will become restrictive.

Each category of restriction has completely different behavior sets both in and outside the performance envelope. A manufacturer builds a balanced system but only until every other upgrade possible is equally or complementarily upgraded does the system behave like a fully capable and balanced system again. A lopsided system will perform in a lopsided manner, even if an upgrade is present, just like with suspension.

The best answer to early inquiries usually sounds a lot like "how much performance do you want to spend?"

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Chickenman said:

Steve Bonk is on FB page Church of L-Series. He normally has a few Don Potter cams for sale. Juts awesome cams if you don't know Don Potters history... 

Just installed mine . Numbers are good - especially P2V clearance for a 535 lift cam

On 7/28/2019 at 5:16 AM, Chickenman said:

Steve Bonk is on FB page Church of L-Series. He normally has a few Don Potter cams for sale. Juts awesome cams if you don't know Don Potters history... 

Good to know. I'm on there too and haven't pulled the trigger yet.

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2019 at 9:00 AM, madkaw said:

Just installed mine . Numbers are good - especially P2V clearance for a 535 lift cam

Any feedback on performance & drivability of the DLP vs your prior cam? I just recently purchased one from Steve Bonk but it’ll be a while before I install. What springs did you use? Did you install per the card or advanced? Would love to hear some feedback from someone running this cam. 

On 9/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, Tad240 said:

Any feedback on performance & drivability of the DLP vs your prior cam? I just recently purchased one from Steve Bonk but it’ll be a while before I install. What springs did you use? Did you install per the card or advanced? Would love to hear some feedback from someone running this cam. 

Getting ready to install next week

I would recommend the jenvey over the oer t-bodies. The jenvey are extremely well made. Everything else looks chunky and crude after you have a set of the jenvey s. They also have a nice intake now too. With the turmoil over there right now the dollar is strong.  I’m hoping after the brexit disaster next month to get a Revere carbon air box for a more reasonable price. 

F1EB2CA1-BFEF-43BA-BD08-A1294302F424.thumb.jpeg.2c7c36d494991d05dee2a84ae9ba8a14.jpeg

60CE9B70-28DB-4B06-AE3A-46786E276135.jpeg

I'd go the opposite. The Jenvey's I've seen have issues with leaking throttle bypass screws, and somewhat flimsy flanges on the front face...

SK's however have been a known commodity since 1983 when I helped install my first set along with their 'air governor' idle bypass setup and analog fuel controller.
The OER's are an effective copy of those early SK's save for a few improvements. They are properly die-cast as well, just like the OEM Carb Bodies were.

Plus, I think the SK's may have a tip on exchange rate at this point.

Edited by Tony D

I own a set of Jenvy 45 ITBs and I wouldn't say there were well made at all.  Pretty thin material, casting doesn't look that nice. Butterflies seem cheap.  No cap on the shaft without the throttle arm.  

I didn't pick the OERs just because of how the fuel rail looks.  I think it looks odd.