HybridZ

OIl pressure & water temp electrical

Fellas

I can start the car and drive a couple minutes when the oil pressure & water temp gage needles work there way to zero rather quickly. At home I connected my voltage meter to the connector at the water temp sensor and to ground. Turned the key on and I get a  0 - 10 volt sporadic pulse. Every 1-2 seconds-I tried to attach video by it says unsuppoeted

Same when I hook up to oil pressure sensor. Steady 12.5v at the console fuse.

Haven't tried either wires t the gage itself. Probably a itch to get to?

any ideas?

Edited by davek

73 240Z

Stock gauges

Megasquirt MS3  running for a few years now.

I just finished an electric steering installation. But this issue started before the steering project.

Temp sensor to ground test---  Needle works its way to 250 degrees and bounces around a little with voltage pulse.  after 15-20 seconds needle drops to 3/4 range and bounces there then back to full hot. back and forth

This test and previous test was with MS3 completely disconnected-fuses pulled.

While engine running with tunerstudio online temp is normal and steady.

To test both temp & pressure gauges I would need to disconnect the wires at the gauges and reconnect with a different power source like straight to a battery, to eliminate all car wiring correct? And if I could get to the wires I need to check voltage feeding the gauges for a pulse.

fun fun fun

Edited by davek

So if you turn the ignition switch to "run",  pull the wire that connects to the temperature probe and then ground the wire,  the temp gauge should go all the way to full hot.

If, while performing this test, the gauge bounces around, then there is an issue with the sensor wire or the gauge. Could be loose or dirty connections.

These links may be of some help:

https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/280481-oil-temp-gauge-not-working.html

https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/47277-temp-gauge-not-working.html

Edited by Miles