HybridZ

Thoughts on Apex Engineered 8.8 subframe

fusion

On 6/14/2020 at 2:15 AM, Dusty said:

Even more ticked they don't offer an explanation, I had to keep emailing (no number).  Last I heard the last batch was bad and in my best interest they scrapped them.  I would have respected if they called and told me this considering how late they are delivering.

I ordered back in Nov and still waiting on parts. I've been lied to a couple of times by them. Getting quite frustrated by them and very tempted to return everything. 

As far as thoughts on the kit goes.  I didn't think about it much at the time but there is no provision for mounting brakes you have to use either their bracket or one of the fd dual caliper brackets.  I am ok with it but I don't really like sandwiching the bracket between the wheelbearing and strut normally the wheelbearing locates in the strut now it locates in the bracket. which the koruworks bracket I have could possibly slide around, since it doesn't locate in the strut.  I might add some dowels just to eliminated the possibility of it moving.  I would much rather have a solid caliper mount on the strut. Also I'm just using base model 350z single piston calipers because all the other 350/370z brakes are huge, in fact it might have been better to base the wheel bearing off some other car with more suitable brake rotor diameters for guys that want to run 14-15" wheels (probably most people).  I can probably fit some of the larger brakes but it would be too silly to have brakes bigger on the back than to 300mm wilwoods on the front of the car.  

Edited by Dusty

• 3 weeks later...
On May 28, 2020, at 9:25 AM, Apex Engineered <apexengineered@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Jon, we were waiting for them to be done at heat treat, but we came accoss a few issues with the axles pertaining to the spline counts, we were origianlly using aftermarket axles (seeing they are more rediliy avaible) however that was a very inconsistent method as the splines on them were all different through the different compaines. We then decided to just go to OEM specs. we already have the driver side ones all done, just need to finish cutting the splines on the driver side, sorry for the delay, we have not made axles before so we are learning as we go, we would assume the aftermarket would be more favorable one, however the materials and composition were of lower grade than the OEM.  we just figured we wanted to make them right 

Thank you

APEX ENGINEERED LLC

Engineering That Outperforms

On Jun 15, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Apex Engineered <apexengineered@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Jon, we got them back from heat treatment last week last Friday, so far everything is in tolerance and the correct splines for the OEM axles. We are now just grooving them and then packaging and shipping. I will get an exact ship date by the end of today and give you an update. thanks again for your patience. 
Thank you

APEX ENGINEERED LLC

Engineering That Outperforms

Have yet to hear anything... I know this is supposed to be discussion on the design but, no point discussing unobtanium

Edited by Dusty

I would like to save someone the anger of purchasing from this company....I have all the other bits required.. I will struggle through this and help however I can with what I discover with this kit.

• 3 weeks later...

So you do have to clearance spare tire well quite a bit.  I massaged with hammer....There is a bracket for original fuel lines that needs cutting off as well as the original exhaust hanger that would be on the front driverside corner of the diff

F5C53F31-8D5A-4528-90F7-79BBF933AC1F.jpeg

Also you can see the front mounting point of the subframe interferes with the bolt for the front of the control arm.  I think you could grind on the clamshell some so you could put the bolt in from the other direction or shorten the bolt

Close up and important note.  I found the 10mmx1.25mm 30mm were to short to work with this particular bracket and engage the wheelbearing threads 100% so I bought 40mm long ones.  Only socket head bolts will work!!!

6DB39F63-9CC7-47AF-81B0-5D38A12F3102.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...