HybridZ

Injector troubleshooting

I bought a set of remanufactured injectors. I have an electric fuel pump that i have to switch on before i start the engine. I noticed when I pulled the plugs that one of my cylinders is flooded with fuel, I pulled the injector and turned the pump on and it just constantly sprays fuel. Could it be a faulty injector or will the injector start to fire properly once I start the engine? How do I properly troubleshoot this?

Likely a stuck injector.  

But... Most ECUs run a 12v constant to the injector and the ground is a PWM output. If your ground is “grounded” out, your injector would stay open as well. Check for continuity from your “ground” to an actual ground in the car (ignition off in car). You can also test your injector running 12v to it, and ground the other side. Every time a connection is made you should hear a click. It might be enough to “unstick” it.

Edited by HuD 91gt

On 8/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, smsms said:

just pulled the fuel rail and noticed the other injectors are leaking but only one is spraying. I have the harness disconnected and only turned on the fuel pump, if that makes any difference.

They are disconnected (wiring connectors pulled OFF) but leaking?? Normally they would be stuck closed. An injector has a "pin" that is normally forced closed by a spring and fuel pressure (when there is fuel pressure). It has an electromagnet that opens it very quickly and briefly but should be always closed tightly otherwise. They also normally have a filter to keep debris large enough to cause problems OUT of the pintle area. I would have to think long and hard before I left those injectors in my car... (You can work them as stated above - even a 9V battery will make them open. Make them "click" several times and see if they will then seal 100%. You'll need a spare Bosch Injector connector to do that easily - bare wires would be dicey - maybe a couple of small insulated spades crimped onto wire leads)

Edited by cgsheen

Yeah I realize how dumb it was to fully install them without testing first. Ill try the 9V battery thing to see if it helps. I also got managed to get them replaced by the seller so hopefully the next set will work properly. I also emptied the fuel tank, since it has been sitting for a couple of months and will change the fuel filter again just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestions!