HybridZ

1970 240Z Race Car Front Suspension Issue

31 minutes ago, silverado22c said:

I've done many alignments, mostly on Land Rovers and some other vehicles.  The amount of movement is minimal to get a big degree change for camber, not like you would be adjusting the lower control arms out an inch or more.  You could probably get a few degrees at about 1/2" or under.  Even race cars are not really going over 5*, you'll probably end up setting it up at 2 to maybe 3 degrees, 4 at most if you can really drive.

Wondering if after I stretch the sway bar to fit if I can still get more stretch by adjusting the LCA the way it's currently mounted?

Edited by Gmagno

Yes, those pictures explain a lot.  I don't think Edan will be able to offer much help, given that your entire front end is custom.

It may be possible to bend the sway bar, as JMort described; but I suspect it may be harder to bend wider than it would be to bend it narrower (especially with a thick bar, as yours appears to be).  Custom end links might also be a practical solution.   Universal sway bars can be had for pretty cheap, so maybe just look for a wider bar, and possibly one that will be adjustable to boot?

It does not appear that you will be able to adjust those Silvermine LCAs any longer without significantly changing some other aspect of your suspension (e.g. LCA mounting points, sway bar mounting, the sway bar itself, etc.)  And as Silverado pointed out, do you really need more neg camber (or track width)?? 

Good luck with it -- should be quite a nice track car once you get it all sorted!

Edited by jhm

50 minutes ago, jhm said:

It may be possible to bend the sway bar, as JMort described; but I suspect it may be harder to bend wider than it would be to bend it narrower (especially with a thick bar, as yours appears to be).  Custom end links might also be a practical solution.   Universal sway bars can be had for pretty cheap, so maybe just look for a wider bar, and possibly one that will be adjustable to boot?

I bent mine, front and rear, in all kinds of directions. No problems.

I would set up the lower control arm at about where it would live most it's life.  Use an old alignment tool that connects to the wheel and uses bubbles, magnetic camber/cast king pin gauge, if you don't have access to an alignment machine.  Probably some circle track guys still use them if you don't want to buy 1.  Just because it seems your LCA is all the way in and your tension rod and tie rod look to being a bit further out.  Then measure like the others say for another sway bar or bend it to fit.

Can't quite tell, but it seems you have slightly positive camber even in the pics.  I don't know on Datsun's, as I've never aligned 1, if negative 3 degrees is 1/4" out or 3/4" out on the adjusting sleeve.  But as it seems you have it on a stand, would need to either set on the ground or somehow get the hub and suspension to ride height for proper alignment.

13 hours ago, silverado22c said:

I would set up the lower control arm at about where it would live most it's life.  Use an old alignment tool that connects to the wheel and uses bubbles, magnetic camber/cast king pin gauge, if you don't have access to an alignment machine.  Probably some circle track guys still use them if you don't want to buy 1.  Just because it seems your LCA is all the way in and your tension rod and tie rod look to being a bit further out.  Then measure like the others say for another sway bar or bend it to fit.

Can't quite tell, but it seems you have slightly positive camber even in the pics.  I don't know on Datsun's, as I've never aligned 1, if negative 3 degrees is 1/4" out or 3/4" out on the adjusting sleeve.  But as it seems you have it on a stand, would need to either set on the ground or somehow get the hub and suspension to ride height for proper alignment.

Is this what you are suggesting? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FM9GMH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_MfBtDbMR9QH39

4 hours ago, JMortensen said:

Just pull the springs and jack the control arms until they're level, and that should be close to ride height. Can check bumpsteer while you're in there. 

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked. Thanks for this, it jump started my brain cells again.

15 hours ago, silverado22c said:

Yep, something like that.  Plus you could use it at the track if really wanting to make changes, not always having to rely and the downtime running to an alignment shop.

Thanks @silverado22c, I will post once I get it and attempt the changes. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

From Edan at Silvermine. I will flip them whi week and post the outcome. 

"Looking at the pic, I think you need to flip the LCA. the flat side should be facing up. But I don't know why the sway bar is so narrow. weird." 

Edited by Gmagno