HybridZ

so you wanna swap an rb eng? here ya go

stony

so i've been doing some searching and just trying to find a straight forward answer on transmissions...

when doing an rb swap, you need a rb25det trans correct? now if that trans ever destroys it's internals, i can use the internals from a z32? This is where I just keep getting confused because i see z32 thrown around so much when talking about the rb swaps. Also, the final drive of these trans match the stock 240z rear diff or am I having to use the rb25 rear diff as well? Only the drive train area is what's concerning me on this swap and I find it hard to find a straight forward answer. Thanks

Yes you can use the internals from the Z32 the RB25-26 and Z32 are basiclly the same I got that from NICO forums and if you look at F.A.S.T. the parts have the same number. The fact that the Z32 gets thrown around alot is because in the sticky their is a thread about using a Z32 tranny on a RB25 bellhousing. Further report showed that the shaft lenght diffrence is negligable so you dont need the swap input shafts. Read it its a great post. I am using a Z32 tranny with a RB26 bellhousing its a simple swap couple bolts swing the hammer take it off swap bolt back up done ! Read the sticky.

The wiring for the rb20 is very,very easy. It just takes a little time and knowledge to figure it out. Don't pay someone to connect 9-12 wires . I can't remember how many but I know it wasn't more than 12. Here is a writeup I did. This will get you running and driving.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/90784-wiring-guide-for-installing-a-rb20det-into-a-datsun-z/

Is that the same for the RB25? I will read. I'm going to try to go for the 25. It seems like there was somewhere I saw that parts are harder to come by with the RB20 than the RB25, not to mention the oil pan and sump can be taken from the 20 and bolted on to the 25 and that it fits. At least thats what I gathered from the thread. The RB25 is what? 250HP and the RB20 is 215? I also had a question on where to purchase one of these. What do you guys think about this site. http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/nissan-infiniti/rb20-dohc-turbo-engine-manual-5-speed-transmission-93.html#

Ive used them once before and have not had an issue with the engine i bought.

Thanks in advance guys. Im loving this fourm!

Edited by 3ryce

Ok so, I have decided to go with the RB20det. Ive got a few questions on what is needed. Here is a list that I have put together from the info I have found by searching around on the site.

Motor mounts- Jaguar xj6 72-87 ( I believe I read somewhere that Pat was using these on his.)

Throtel cable from McKinner Motorsports

Oil pan and sump (hopefully pat can help me out with this :) )

PRC Radiator

Radiator fan from 90-95 taurus

Boost guage

Water Pump (need to locate one)

ECU ( ebay? )

thos things ive gather as actually needing and will work, Ive got questions on other items

Fuel pump (is that needed or can I use stock?) If i need to use an after market one I saw a member on here using a bosch 004 pump. Is that too much?

After market intake manifold (or can i just use the stock one? Is it a clearance issue?)

Ebay intercooler ( i know not nessicary but may get if i can use stock intake manifold)

ECU wireing harness ( http://www.wiringspecialties.com/n4ecupaha.html ) is this needed or would it help in anyway?

Engine wire harnes I assume needs to be mainly intack as most the wires will be spliced into the z body wire harness Still need to read the wiring thread on this tho. Going to try to get an uncut harness tho.

And anything else or other information anyone would like to add would be awesome!

When I begine doing the swap I plan on doing my best to make a DIY thread and try to put all the info all in one spot so future people can find the info easier. Dont get me wrong its some what easy to find all the info but it would be nice if it was all in one spot.

Oil pan and sump (hopefully pat can help me out with this :) )

I would be happy to build you a rear sump pan. Just let me know when your ready.

When I had my rb20 I used the stock rb20 motor mounts with the stock 280z motor mounts (I think). There should be a thread on this. I know I posted pictures of them. I used a stock 240sx throttle cable. Off of ebay for 5.00 shipped. I would use a Bosch 044 pump. I don't like thw walbro pumps. They are cheap but you get what you pay for. Your ecu should come with your swap. You can use the stock intake masifold. It fits perfect. You can use a ebay intercooler if you like but you get what you pay for. I'm using one and I don't like it. It's not very efficient. But again you get what you pay for. I had to weld my cxracing crap up 4 times so far.

I posted a wiring thread for a rb20

• 1 month later...

Stony what did you use for a radiator? i'm in Montana (USA) and i have a 73 z. and i have a AWD RB26DETT but its gonna be a long road of getting pan and sump (700 for all that) and then wiring it in, and i need to get a different intercooler since the skyline r33 one i got with the engine and tranny is so wide it won't fit in behind my radiator or in fact anywhere in there. what did you end up using? i can figure out the hatched loom harness eventually i'm sure, and weld up some custom mounts easy enough. i did get jippe don my engine a bit though. 3900 bucks shipped.

Pat1 you are often a beacon of light with my speed bumps on this swap I jumped feet first into. Thank you. Has any one had any experience with AMS brand intercoolers (i think that is the correct brand) by chance? Someone mentioned it to me in passing at a local audio shop and I'm a bit wary of getting the part on a random kids word. granted his Lancer does look to be well done.

If he had an Evo, it was probably AMS Performance. 

http://amsperformance.com/

A lot of Evo guys go with their intercoolers. Proven results. Another option is ETS. I plan on using one of their cores when I'm ready for my swap. 

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/

They both use different cores, and are available in different sizes and end tank designs. Check them out!

Pat1 you are often a beacon of light with my speed bumps on this swap I jumped feet first into. Thank you. Has any one had any experience with AMS brand intercoolers (i think that is the correct brand) by chance? Someone mentioned it to me in passing at a local audio shop and I'm a bit wary of getting the part on a random kids word. granted his Lancer does look to be well done.

If I remember correctly AMS used to sell stuff for the 300zxtt when I had one and people complained about the product all the time. I have a cheap Chinese intercooler (cxracing) and its junk! I had to weld it up a couple times. I want to replace it with a better core but I haven't had a chance. I mean it does the job but it could be better alot better. You get what you pay for. I wouldn't trust it on a hot hot day high boost and a crappy tune= a bad day.

Did anyone wire up the consult port?  I'm looking to go Nistune but I can't find any information on it (or my search skills are low tier).
It's very easy, power,clock,RX and Tx wires. I have a a diagram somewhere. I'll try to find it. Edited by pat1