HybridZ

Repairable or Lost Cause

DC_Mike

As I pulled out the interior trim I noticed that the roof rear support had some major rust at the corners, is this a repairable spot or is it more of a hassle than it's worth considering I'm just starting this project and have other major areas of rust to contend with? This is a 71' 240z that I picked up at an auction in the hopes of a resto-mod project.

20190819_215018.jpg

20190819_215045.jpg

My car had rust in this area. Not as bad, but I found it above the quarter window on the outside. The sheet metal was all bulged out around the spot welds. I cut it out and fixed it, but again, wasn't as bad as yours.

It's fixable, but at some point you have to consider how many hours you want to put into it.

DSCN0809.thumb.JPG.73ee80e871987af05f2facf32ad51b6c.JPG

DSCN0804.thumb.JPG.c98ca2d13e2ac19af3c22794e020fc3c.JPG

@Neverdone I do have a welder (MIG and TIG) and while I don't have experience forming sheet metal I'm more than willing to give it a try and learn. My main concern came in when it comes to replacing stressed structural members like that.

@JMortensen well good to know there is maybe some hope. Most of the problem seems to be on the internal panel, moving forward toward the A pillar.

20190820_143744.jpg

20190820_143749.jpg

20190820_143827.jpg

Had one similar that I stripped for parts and then scrapped. As much as some might complain, I don't see anyone stepping up to actually save examples in such dire condition. Better to sacrifice usable parts so as many others as possible can keep running.

Yeah as frustrating as it is, I think I might have to go that route. I though about even just replacing the hood and rebuilding the supports but there are so many other areas that need extensive work, I just can't see making it happen. If I had more confidence in my ability to rebuild that whole section maybe it would be a different story.