HybridZ

Bushing for emergency brake control lever.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I ended up using this for the cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322003402554?hash=item4af8e5ff3a:g:5kYAAOSw4tBecOhb

I never found the plastic bushing.  Mine was cracked but it seem ok and I couldn't find one.  If it breaks then I think the only thing I can do is have a friend with a lathe machine one out of delrin.

Edited by LooseRocks

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I found a solution for the rubber bushing (I believe - fits up well). I was perusing the Help aisle at AutoZone and saw a Dorman oil filler tube grommet (part #42306). Nice tight fit on the body, and it holds the plastic bushing well. My plastic bushing is cracked as well, but holding up well otherwise. I'll see how the rubber bushing looks after some mileage, but shouldn't see a ton of wear anyways.

IMG_2044[1].JPG

IMG_2049[1].JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That Autozone grommet seems like a decent replacement. Though when mine came out it seemed like it was originally a hard plastic, and not rubber that turned hard over 50yrs. My plan was to turn one on a lathe out of a small puck of delrin. Now most of my linkage were so rusted and seized they had to be cut off, so if anybody has a line on reproductions or DIY solutions I’d appreciate a PM with the info.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 7:05 PM, walkerbk said:

If you want to get me dimensions, I can 3D print whatever you would like and sent it to you for the cost of postage. Wont take but 20 minutes to print I'm sure.  

Going through the same process with my emergency brake handle - pics attached.  The inner delrin(?) bushing is split, seems by design so that it can be removed, mine appears to be in decent shape.  The outer black cover is cracked around the inner (smaller) hole.  Rough dimensions of the outer cover: 28.5mm diameter big hole side (IMG_5339), 2.8mm wall thickness.  19.30mm diameter small hole side (IMG_5341).  17.5mm height (IMG_5340).  Some ridges are present in the cover which may or may not be functionally relevant.  I can try and get better measurements of the cover, the details of the tranny tunnel hole where they fit, or I'd be willing to ship you the cover if that makes it easier to set up in your printer and check printed parts against.

IMG_5338.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

@foosman below is what I came up with based on what you gave me. based on the design of the Datsun I am assuming that this part is a seal used to keep out road grim and such (if that is the case, I would change up some of it to prevent water intrusion).

image.png.6d87fca6089dda4f294c3d3369a3ccb7.png

With that in mind, the dimensions of that which it seals up against would be just as important if not more. I have TPU filament which is a Composed of polyurethane and rubber but Im not sure how well it would hold up under a vehicle. 

On 12/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, walkerbk said:

@foosman below is what I came up with based on what you gave me. based on the design of the Datsun I am assuming that this part is a seal used to keep out road grim and such (if that is the case, I would change up some of it to prevent water intrusion).

image.png.6d87fca6089dda4f294c3d3369a3ccb7.png

With that in mind, the dimensions of that which it seals up against would be just as important if not more. I have TPU filament which is a Composed of polyurethane and rubber but Im not sure how well it would hold up under a vehicle. 

Hi @walkerbk - more data for you, and pictures.  The stub in the tranny tunnel that the pivot fits into, and how the ebrake shaft fits into it.  The white delrin bushing fits inside the stub, and the black cover fits around the outside of the stub to keep stuff out of the greased delrin bushing.  I measured the outside diameter of the stub, and it measures 28.5mm which matches my earlier measurement of the "big hole side" of the cover.  There is probably some additional thickness with the bedliner coating in my tranny tunnel, but as long as the cover has some stretch to it, it should be able to fit over the stub to provide the seal.  As far as how the cover will hold up under the vehicle - I suppose it would have exposure to grease/oil/water, maybe some heat from the exhaust?

Let me know how you want to proceed - I'd still be willing to ship you my black cover for comparison if that would help.  Thanks!

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

Ok, so i think i have a working prototype for you to try out. I did a stepped lip on the side that buts up against the brake actuator and then did a minor fillet on the side that goes against the car. The inside diameter of the bushing is 28mm instead of 28.5 just to give it a tight seal against the metal "cup that it fits over. I just printed one off and will make a second one that is a little longer (21mm instead of 17 because i figure with the stepped lip it will slip up the shaft that it is sealing against).

Again, i do not know how TPU filament is going handle some of the road debris and grease but it does handle heat just fine. I have made all the grommets for my engine bay out of this stuff and it still looks new after two years.

If you want me to ship these to you, send me an address in a private message.

image.png.cb98a3111a839defcab82f0a1c70e927.png

• Thanks 1

@walkerbk Tried out the 3 you sent.  We have #1 and #2, with #2 being slightly longer than #1.  #3 is the same length as #1, but has a thicker wall than #1 and #2.  #3 didn't fit over the stub in the tranny tunnel.  #1 and #2 both had a nice fit over the tranny tunnel stub, and #2 being a little longer, had a tighter seal against the brake actuator, so I would declare #2 the winner.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

So this is the finished product if anyone else is interested. It is made out TPU which is very flexible (and hard to print). I have used TPU to create plugs for my floors, wiring grommets and other such.

20240110_075106.jpg

20240110_075117.jpg

• Like 1