HybridZ

I think I may have a snapped camshaft?

jjslade

So i was trying to get the car started and heard it was making no compression, so i did a compression test and confirmed that. I took the cam cover off and saw that when i was turning the engine over the cam gear was moving but the camshaft itself wasnt, the camshaft does move using some vice grips, and i know the engine isn't seized. I'm thinking either the woodruff key has sheared off, or the camshaft has snapped under the first cap. What do you guys think?

Well if the cam sprocket is spinning and the cam is not, something is obviously wrong.

It's possible that the bolt that holds the sprocket in relation to the cam worked its way out. Can you check if it's still there? 

Edited by calZ

Your cam shaft is probably fine, the cam bolt backed off that sheared the woodruff key and now when you take the head off you will have little crescent shaped indents in the tops of you pistons where the valves hit. Your pistons will probably alright but you're going to have some bent valves to replace, don't crank the engine any more, just start pulling the head.  I know how it feels:fmad:

14 hours ago, jjslade said:

Thanks for the help guys, the sprocket had just come loose, gonna have to take the head off and change some, if not all the valves.

The same thing happened to me once, engine only spun with the starter, I had 11 valve dents on the tops of the pistons but only 3 bent valves so you get lucky too.