HybridZ

Thinking of buying back my 77 280Z

280Dan

Hey everyone, so here’s the scoop. I sold my 1977 280, that I was modifying and using as a daily driver, back in 2015. I embarrassingly enough don’t remember exactly how much I sold it for but current owner said $3700, I though it was around about that or $4k. I had sold it because the frame rails, lower rad support and common areas like the rear rockers and lower rear of the quarters were starting to rust through and I was getting married.

I had a very big attachment to the vehicle as my late grandmother had helped me purchase the vehicle at the time but I don’t want to make a bad decision solely on sentimental value. I am now in a position where I can buy it back from him.

Info on the car:

1977 280Z

Has about 50,000 miles on rebuilt engine

Megan Racing coilovers with camber plates

Techno Toy Tuning front and rear adjustable control arms

Arizona Z Car steering knuckles

MSA headers and custom exhaust

Champion radiator

JDM fender mirrors

body work to remove rear bumper and smooth out rear end and delete antenna

wheels and tires

And then a bunch of routine upkeep items like alternator, clutch kit, slave cylinder, SS brake lines

*all work and mods done by me prior to selling vehicle with the exception of some fuel lines and hoses and pump he replaced

He is offering it to me for $4600 and everyone that doesn't know anything about Z cars thinks I shouldn’t be paying more than I sold it to him for if he didn’t do anything to increase the value. In fact the body and rust is in worse condition than when I sold it to him. The rust on the rockers and rear quarters have grown to allow a few fingers through now and the nose of the hood is rusting now too. He says he was planning on just patching the rust in the wheel wells and repairing the frame rails and he’d be able to get $6-7k for it. I went and drove it on Monday and from what I can see it will need a lot of body and frame rust repair. It’s the first and only Z I have ever owned so I don’t know whether I should offer less or if the $4600 is reasonable. Photos are of the vehicle before I sold it and video is from this past Monday. I regrettably didn’t take detailed photos of the current rust situation but you can see some of where it started in the last two photos and some from the video.

2C51F85B-0C9F-4DF4-974E-A08F0A52D746.jpeg

5F924AEA-BAE3-4ED1-8FE4-706C17AB1691.jpeg

E93A2912-B8B5-46BC-A354-14C0A7EA4A41.jpeg

9B7F4B0C-BC5D-42F8-ADF6-A099A341A1FA.jpeg

I apologize if this seems like a no brained answer for some but I honestly am not good when I comes to value of selling or buying used items period so any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to be fair to both myself and the current owner. 

Buy that before he realizes that someone who doesn't know about the rusty areas will easily buy that for 7k.

Then fix the rusty areas. It's just metal. They have more.

Also he stored it for you for 4 years...that's worth something.

Edited by Neverdone

27 minutes ago, Neverdone said:

Or just pay what he's asking for.

You sold it to him for 3700 5 years ago, he wants 4600.

That's actually 900 dollars difference, for him storing it for 5 years.

If you know of a place that'll store a car for 180 bucks a year, let me know.

Good point

Jump on it, say thanks and don't look back! A quick craigslist search on the left coast shows precious little for under $5000, and nothing with even a third the parts you have in that car. 

Grab it, fix the rust and enjoy having your car back, it's a feeling I know numerous members of the car community wish they could have. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hood, hatch, fenders, are not a big deal overall. The rear skirt you can find a patch panel. The rear quarters and dog legs can be a tricky repair. You have a solid 2-3k in parts alone. Unless you can find a shell in better condition for less than 2k I think you are in a good spot. Just find a good metal guy.

With that said, that really is quite a bit of rust. Going to be pricey unless you can do it yourself or with friends.

26 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

Hood, hatch, fenders, are not a big deal overall. The rear skirt you can find a patch panel. The rear quarters and dog legs can be a tricky repair. You have a solid 2-3k in parts alone. Unless you can find a shell in better condition for less than 2k I think you are in a good spot. Just find a good metal guy.

With that said, that really is quite a bit of rust. Going to be pricey unless you can do it yourself or with friends.

Thanks for the insight. I plan on a complete tear down and thorough inspection with the next year or so and take it from there

• 1 year later...