HybridZ

Injector Spray: Need fuel rail?

KF_Colt

I installed supra black top 430cc injectors on my stock fuel rail for the 1981 280zx. The car would start at times but most of the time wont. When I first attempt a start it gets very close to starting but bogs out. I took out the plugs and they have a small amount of black liquid on them, and smell very faintly of gas (not as much as i would think however). 

Do I need to install an aftermarket fuel rail to adjust the angle at which the new injectors spray? because these new ones are four port on the end not the single port the stock injectors have. 

Why did you install 430cc injectors? Do you have an aftermarket (standalone) ECU?

If you're using the stock ECU, those injectors are FLOODING your engine and the stock ECU has no way of adjusting their pulse width for the increased flow that they have over stock injectors.

FWIW I have run 550CC RC engineering injectors on a stock ZXT rail without issue, controlling them with a MegaSquirt II unit. Definitely echo what cgsheen is saying about needing an aftermarket ECU. With stock ECU, you need to stay very close to stock-specced injectors and fuel pressure or you are going to have a difficult time

19 hours ago, cgsheen said:

Why did you install 430cc injectors? Do you have an aftermarket (standalone) ECU?

If you're using the stock ECU, those injectors are FLOODING your engine and the stock ECU has no way of adjusting their pulse width for the increased flow that they have over stock injectors.

Yeah I have MS2 and Ford EDIS working.

2 hours ago, KF_Colt said:

Yeah I have MS2 and Ford EDIS working.

Was it running fine before upgrading the injector size? If so, after installing the new injectors, did you update the injector size in your general options in tunerstudio? You will likely need to do a bit of tweaking on the VE table as well in my experience

Edited by Zcardude

1 hour ago, Zcardude said:

Was it running fine before upgrading the injector size? If so, after installing the new injectors, did you update the injector size in your general options in tunerstudio? You will likely need to do a bit of tweaking on the VE table as well in my experience

Found the Issue!

Was a combination of my toothed wheel being offset (not by much), the VR sensor not being close enough (although i never got the infamous "missing teeth" error),  the fuel pressure regulator being shot, and most importantly... bad gas. I emptied the tank after putting in treatment and wow was it brown, I'm going to need to treat the tank. But you also were right with the VE table, I havent tweaked it that much because I just wanted at the least a shite idle. 

Thank you both for the help!