HybridZ

Fusible link question

Craig76z

I upgraded to maxi fuses but now there's an issue with the alternator connection. When I hook up the lead from the maxi fuse to the alternator the car won't start. If I remove just that wire, the car starts but doesn't charge from the alternator. Also the dash volt meter stays at 12V when the wire is connected. I know the alternator wiring splits off and goes elsewhere but I cut at the fusible link so that shouldn't be an issue. Any help is appreciated

Again, please mention the year and if made any other changes such as a different engine or EMS.  Pictures always help too.  It looks like you have a 76 from your name.  Did you use the proper amperage fuse for the alternator, Black being 80 amps.  Looks like the Red, Headlight and Ign Switch are not correct and should be flipped in the below picture.  On what side do you disconnect the wire from the alternator to the maxi fuse, at the alternator or at the Maxi fuse?  Why did you make the switch to Maxi fuses, did you have a previous issue or trying to get rid of an issue before it might occur?  Do you still have the external voltage regulator or has that been updated in some way?  That is what regulates the voltage of the alternator.  When it shows 12 volts, usually means that it is running off of the battery only, with most systems running in the mid 13's.  If starting vehicle with wire disconnected, have you checked the output of the alternator, what readings are you getting?

79fusiblelinks.gif.6050e4fc1ec5ad3ba7c4a333af35509f.gif76_fuselinks.jpg.bdd0318df3dbcaa69f3043af8178471e.jpg

Atlantic Z Fusible Link upgrade