HybridZ

Front Wheel Speed Sensor kit

Well, I'm going to change over to a motec and will be running wheel speed sensors on all corners. I have a R230 diff so I'm going to pick up the ABS rings on the output shafts for the rear but would anyone have interest in a front speed sensor kit? I currently have AZC 5 lug hubs in the front, but have been talked to t3 about them making this an option or something on theirs. Obviously you don't need a motec to take advantage of this but i know a lot of you guys are running engine management and would maybe benefit from this as well.ive seen people triggering off the wheel stud head but i want something with more resolution than that. 

Would be interested in one for 4 lug front hub with tone rings/sensor.  Would use a 5 lug if I had to. I was looking at mounting a tone ring from a Subaru Forester onto a hub.  The ring is 90 degrees so the pickup could potentially be mounted to the dust cover.  It would probably play nicer with a 5 lug. 

I had just planned on running a hall effect sensor through an enlarged dust cover hole and epoxying a magnet to the back of the hub, but if you get T3 to do something integrated I'd be very interested. Evolved front coils and their 5-lug hubs were on my list anyway. 

2 hours ago, LooseRocks said:

I was thinking something like this mounted to the back of the hub so the mounting for the sensor could be simple.  It could be held in place on the brake cover backing plate with a hole for the sensor and one for a screw.

subaru_98_to_08_tone_ring_01.thumb.jpg.ccbdabd1209596d8aeefc18e8bac3382.jpg

subaru_98_to_08_tone_ring_00.thumb.jpg.b4bf2e588d9e00b4d3b47fabfb124c6b.jpg

subaru_98_to_08_tone_ring_02.thumb.jpg.197f7cf6d9ea19547dcb62332213aa01.jpg

What car is this off of? We might be able to find an OEM option that fits the brake rotor bolt pattern.

Did some searching and figured it out. They're off a 1999 Subaru Forester. The wheel pattern on a Forester is 5x100, and from looking on RockAuto I can see the ABS ring diameter is slightly bigger than the wheel stud pattern. The Nissan 5-lug rotor bolt pattern is 5x103. There's an outside chance those patterns match, but just from eyeballing it the Subaru ABS ring looks bigger. 

Custom hubs with the correct pattern or just some custom rings would solve the problem, but finding OEM parts for this would be great for cost and availability. 

Edited by calZ

'98 to '08 Subaru Forester.  I was thinking you could use a longer bolt for the bolts that hold the brake rotor onto the front hub.  This longer bolt could hold a ??? mm thick aluminum ring which would have the screw holes for the tone ring.  The thickness of the aluminum ring could make up for spacing between the tone ring and where the sensor poked through the brake dust cover.

The entire kit could be:

Source your own Forester ring PN#???

Source your own sensor PN#???

Two large aluminum spacer ring with four or five holes matching the bolt patter to hold the rotor to the hub.

Four or five longer bolts to mount the large aluminum ring and clamp the disc brake to the hub.

Five screws to go trough the aluminum ring to mount the tone ring. Sourced from Subaru.

Two small aluminum spacer with a hole for sensor and a threaded hole for sensor screw.   

The sensor goes through the brake cover into the large hole in aluminum spacer.  The screw to mount the sensor goes through the sensor mounting hole, through the brake cover and into a threaded hole in the small aluminum spacer.

It would minimize the custom parts to two aluminum rings and two small aluminum spacer.  That was what I was planning.  But if I could just buy such a kit my life would be easier.  

u can get an adjustable sensor instead of the GT101 style get a GS100502 style. I think mounting the sensor is by far the easiest part. I would imagine we could probably get the OK from engineering to drill /have the hubs made with another set of bolt holes clocked in a position that would work for the tone ring so you dont have to pull it all apart when servicing brakes.

Thinking about this more, another set of holes would not work unless you convert to modern style wheel stud mounted rotors. Since the tone ring hole pattern diameter is larger than the brake rotor hole pattern, the only way is a spacer ring. 

I've planning on converting to a modern rotor mount anyway to match the Q45 stuff in the rear, but the kit would probably be useful to more people if it could work with the standard rotor mounting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 3:17 PM, ZT-R said:

i just wanna hit the easy button for 1 thing on this car.. haha 

What's your timeframe like? I grabbed some 300zx hubs from the pick and pull last weekend, and I'm going to try to get some of the tone rings in the next couple weeks. After that, modeling up an adapter and 3D-printing a prototype should be pretty easy. 

One thing I see as an issue is the attachment. The tone ring will have to be attached to the adapter before the rotor goes on, but the tone ring is going to interfere with the bolts. I think I can get it to work where you'd use a crow's foot socket to install them, but it'll be tight. 

Edited by calZ

• 5 weeks later...

Good timing. I picked up a tone ring last week and worked on an adapter this weekend. I'm going to need to drill through the original mounting holes of the tone ring so it can be fastened from the top, but it should work. I'll have to make some angled spacers/washers for the final attachment, but I'm 3D printing a prototype adapter ring on my resin printer right now. It just barely fits in the build area.

ToneRingAdapter.PNG

Edited by calZ