HybridZ

Front Wheel Speed Sensor kit

Update with pics! 

So the adapter finished printing. I should have taken a picture of the shiny finished product but didn't. I can't now for reasons to be explained soon. I'll attach a pic of the in-progress print. 

Initial test fits made me think I didn't have a chance to get to the heads of the rotor bolts once the tone ring was on, meaning I'd have to attach the tone ring from the top. Because of this, I left the ring-to-adapter holes small enough to be tapped. There was more space than expected, so I was able to run down the rotor bolts with a 1/4in drive socket at an angle on the head. This won't work when you really need to torque them down, but that's easily solvable by converting to socket cap screws instead of hex head. 

The tone ring hole pattern is some oddball radius, so I'm still working on that. When drilling the holes to expand them enough to get the bolts to go in, I kind of blew out a couple holes and cracked the adapter ring. Apparently resin printed parts are a lot more brittle than FDM ABS parts. I'm going to print some 100% scale drawings and match the hole pattern up with paper before I print another adapter ring. 

Long story short, here are a couple pictures of the tone ring mounted. It fits these turbo hubs like a glove.

20191103_234914.jpg

20191104_222004.jpg

20191104_222014.jpg

Edited by calZ

6.5mm. I think on the second iteration I'm going to go thicker so I can countersink the bolt heads. I've yet to throw the hub on the upright to check for clearance and how to mount the sensor, but I don't foresee any issues there.

I think that you've already done the hard part.  i don't see an issue with mounting the sensor.  I was planning on doing a sandwich type mount on the OEM backing plate.  I'm probably going to start with a 10 mm wheel spacer.  I have a friend that can turn it down for me as needed.

I'll put a drawing up when I get everything figured out. I thought about making these to sell as a kit, but since everything seems to be working without modifications it hardly makes sense. I'd just be reselling OEM parts minus the spacer. 

One more hurdle is that the test fit was on 300ZX turbo hubs. I don't have a pair of 240Z five lug hubs to check clearance on, so the rotor clearance could be different there. Maybe I'll pull off my 4-lug hubs this weekend and give it a look. 

I have AZC 5 lugs and their "big brake" kit. would it fit? also how many teeth does the ring have? i dont have backing plate but mounting the sensor should defiantly be the easier part.

Nice work man, i need to look into a printer myself.

13 minutes ago, ZT-R said:

I have AZC 5 lugs and their "big brake" kit. would it fit? also how many teeth does the ring have? i dont have backing plate but mounting the sensor should defiantly be the easier part.

Nice work man, i need to look into a printer myself.

Quick count looks like 44 teeth. 

Do you know what the rotor bolt pattern is? Stock is 4x103mm, and the 300zx hubs are 5x103mm. SilverMine uses the 5x103mm pattern on their hubs, but I can't find measurements for AZC or T3.

I did find SilverMine blog post from 5 years ago claiming T3 uses 5x3.85", which would limit rotor choices to only T3 stuff. They may have updated since then. 

So, it turns out the hole pattern isn't that oddball. It seems to be simply 5x110, but one of the threaded holes on the tone ring is drilled off-center. This caused a bunch of headaches until I figured it out. Always nice when OEM parts have issues.

Drawing is attached. You might be able to tighten up the radii of the bolt holes a bit, but it all depends on what type of tolerance for part imperfections you want. Thickness and countersinking would depend on your material and application, so I left that out of the drawing. The inner and outer radii of the adapter itself don't need to be exact, and might actually vary depending on your hub and rotor. Basically, everything in here other than the 5-hole patterns aren't test fit for other applications, so use without verifying at your own risk.

SubaruToneRingAdapter.pdf

Edited by calZ

On 11/8/2019 at 4:48 PM, ZT-R said:

i have no idea, maybe AZC would answer that. Its 8 bolts and pretty far outward from center. i would expect it to be a off the self wildwood or brempo rotor.

Do you have a picture? All the front brake kits I see on their site seem to have the outer 8-hole pattern to bolt the rotor to the hat, but I think the hat still uses a 5-hole pattern to attach to the hub.

2 hours ago, LooseRocks said:

Do you think that this setup would work in a 4 lug hub?

I don't think so. When you have the 4-lug pattern, the rotor bolt holes get super close to touching the tone ring bolt holes. Add in the material on the "legs" of the tone ring and there's not room to get a rotor bolt in. 

I emailed T3 and confirmed with them that they use the standard 5x103 pattern, so that's great news. 

I also test fit the hubs onto my car over the weekend. With the turbo hubs, they clear the dust shield by over an inch. That means they might get pretty close the the spindle with 5-lug 280Z hubs since they're lower offset, but I think you could play with the adapter thickness to get clearance if necessary. 

The round part of the spindle is not much smaller than the tone ring, so some clearancing might have to be done to get a sensor in the right spot. 

• 2 weeks later...