HybridZ

Replaced 280z head but cam sprocket mount is different?

My son and I bought a rebuilt n42 head. We have replaced the head, but when we went to install the cam sprocket, we noticed the end of the cam is different. The first Pic is a pic of the head we took off and the second is of the head we put on the car. The place where the sprocket mounts is different. Got any ideas on how we should tackle this problem?

camaro-guy

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

Not the most knowledgeable about Datsuns like some others are here.  But I believe the heads for the Z are interchangeable, with same sprocket used from 70-83.  The head you took off, the cam retainer plate bolts are loose and let the cam walk.  The new head, the cam is retained properly.  Are the lobs centered on the old head or are they offset, showing the cam has pushed towards the front?  Why are you changing the head?

I got some other input and the camshaft must have moved backwards during shipping and is sticking out the back where is should be flush. I should be able to tap it forward with a rubber mallet and move it back to where it belongs. Why are we changing the head? Someone who owned it before us broke an exhaust manifold bolt in the head. We tried to drill it out ourselves and were not successful.

camaro-guy

• 2 weeks later...

am i correct that you are referring to the axial location? when you torque down the cam bolt, it will pull the cam axially. the cam slides around until torqued down. i just took a look at my heads. if you loosen the retaining plate (the plate only goes on one way), and allow the cam to slide into the hole, i think that will work.

oh, i found a broken exhaust stud on my heads too. i ended up putting a helicoil in it. The kit was less than 10 bucks on amazon. if found that welding something on to back out the stuck piece is the best approach.

Edited by scartail