HybridZ

280z Rear end into Series 1 240z help..

I have a early 71 240z that is a little modded.  Triple webber carbs, 280z 5 speed tranny, coil overs, toyota upgrade calipers ect, rear Bre spoiler, front air dam, the rest of the car is all stock, these are things I could put back to stock if I ever wanted to do a stock series 1 rebuild. The other day I picked up a 77 280z with 4 speed tranny. I was thinking about swapping the rear end into my 240..

Questions, do I need to keep this series 1 rear end with my car or is it just a standard 240z rear end that I could get later if I ever wanted to go back to 100% stock?

Is it worth it to do this swap? I think the R200 is a bit more stout and has a lower gear ratio than the 70-71 rear ends but not much.

What is needed to do the swap?,  driveline, different axles? Brackets, hoses, straps? Or is it a direct easy swap?. I already re-did my rear brakes on the 240z.

I'm sure there is info on here on the swap but thought I would ask about my particular situation. Thanks in advance.

Very generally speaking, you'll need the correct mustache bar and half-shafts for the R200.  You will also need to swap your input flange on to the R200 so it matches up to your driveshaft.

But honestly, why do you think you need to do the swap?  The R200 is quite a bit heavier and bulkier than the R180, and if you're not planning to beef up your engine output, the swap is really not necessary.  Also, I would open both differentials to verify the drive ratio(s) before starting the swap.

My two cents...

I have to agree... I ran the stock 3.36 R-180 in my early 260Z for years (behind an L28ET) before swapping to a 3.54 R-200 - and an L24 doesn't have anywhere near the torque of the turbo motor. It is completely do-able however - a bit of a pain, but the swap is pretty straight-forward as described above.

Yeah I'm going to flip this 280z and thought while I have it, I (Could) do the swap, but it sounds like it's not worth the hassle. I dont plan on changing out the original L24 in my 71 only adding triple webbers..Should be fine, and yeah more weight would not help any. I didnt realize I needed to change the mustache bar and all that.

I do like the idea of the limited slip from a LSD. But for now think I will just keep the original rear end. Thanks fellas.

• Like 1