HybridZ

79 280ZX Cold Start Problem

Mayolives

My 79 zx just runs like crap when first started. Back fires through intake and exhaust when I try to add rpms.  Checked the new spark plugs and they were gas fouled so I replaced the cold start valve and thermotime switch and their electrical current connectors.  Still have the same problem. It runs great when warmed up.  All hoses, belts, ht leads, distributor cap, plugs, vac lines, etc. are new.  I haven't replaced the "thermal transmitter" that screws into the thermostat housing because I haven't been able to locate a new one and because I really don't know If it is part of the problem. The 79 FSM doesn't have much to say about the thermal transmitter. (It isn't the water temp sensor, located beside it that controls the temp gauge in the dash.) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mayolives
additional info

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth...….. I have found and fixed my 280zx cold start problem as mentioned above.  The connector to the throttle valve switch was corroded. Unplugging it, gave it a few squirts of contact cleaner, did a little scraping to remove said gunk and a reconnect has cured my problem.  Little "buggers" like this can be difficult to find but studying the FSM and marching through it, step by step, usually pays off!