HybridZ

Sudden Electrical Issues After Audio Amp Disconnect

My guess would be that the amp was installed somewhere in your dash; and in disconnecting it, you disturbed some other circuit(s) which apparently affected multiple components....could've been 12V lines, or grounds, or signal feed lines, or some combination of all three.

Don you have full schematics for your car?  If not, you can download them for free from Xenonzcar.com.  Worth their weight in gold for troubleshooting issues exactly like the ones you're currently experiencing.

Did you just disconnect connectors on the amp or did you cut wires to remove the amp?  We can't tell you if easy to connect back up and for your issues to go away, because you didn't state how you removed the amp.  Providing pictures are always best the more vague questions are.  You might have had a 12 volt ignition source that was connected to the amp when the vehicle was in accessory or on position.

I didn’t cut anything.  The wires for the AMP ran from the dash area down the floor board to the amp that was actually located behind the passenger seat.  I simply unscrewed the wires (power, ground, speakers, etc.) and pulled the amp out.  I left the wires alone.  They are still just under the carpet.

make sure the main power wire (larger red wire) for the amp is disconnected from the battery or atleast the inline fuse should be pulled you should see it under the hood, running directly to the battery. inline fuse should be within a foot of the battery. tape the ends of all the wires you took off the amp, including the RCA cables. silverado22c has a good point about the ignition wire that turns the amp on.  its mostlikly spliced into a existing 12v ignition source.it should just be a small blue wire. make sure thats tapped up. 

You can certainly try hooking the amp back up to see if anything changes.  There's no telling what crazy wiring mods previous owners have down to the car.  The main fuse panel in the passenger footwell area are the only fuses you need to check, unless someone has added more fuses throughout the various harnesses over the years.

If the amp was somehow wired so as to affect the operation of ANY other components (e.g. your dash lights, your gauges, etc); I'd suggest fixing that immediately.  Shouldn't work that way.

Good luck with it.

What about the blue ignition wire going to the amp? Amps blow fuses often. That wire is also ran directly to the amp so I dont think that would be it...my money is on the ignition wire grounding out on the floor or slim chance that the RCA cables are grounding out if you just have them touching the floor

30 minutes ago, G-Tech said:

What about the blue ignition wire going to the amp? Amps blow fuses often. That wire is also ran directly to the amp so I dont think that would be it...my money is on the ignition wire grounding out on the floor or slim chance that the RCA cables are grounding out if you just have them touching the floor

Assuming that’s the issue, it there a fuse that would be effected that’s not in the box on the passenger side or a way to “reset” things?

Mostlikly someone just spliced it in with an exciting wire. Those ignition wires are "not that important " so most people are cruel with the way they wire them in...try tapping it, and put some tape on the RCA cables also. See what that does

more that i think about it. remembering my old stereo days. the blue/remote wire is what turns the amp on and it should come right from the stereo, the RCA's also come right from the stereo. electrical can be a little crazy to try to figure out. i still say tape off any electrical wire that came off the amp and see what that does. its just an easy thing to 1st try and go from there if that doesnt work

When removing added components like amps, phones, alarms, remote starters, etc, etc, it's better to remove the wiring at its source, not just remove the component.

That way you discover the sometimes "creative" ways the PO installed it right away, and you can return the wiring to stock. It sometimes takes a bit of wire tracing time, but it's worth it. 

• 2 weeks later...