HybridZ

Drive-By-Wire

Conedodger

I’m asking this here because this is a Z specific forum.

I’m dressing a Rebello built 3.0 stroker for use in my 240Z. I’m using Haltech Elite 2500 and I’d like to do drive by wire. My intake is a 280Z that has been extrude honed. I have a TWM Big Throat throttle body but I’m open to anything that gets me drive by wire. What have others done?

pictures for interest.

DDAA66C0-5ED2-4506-B81A-625890DF0F4D.jpeg

389F6DAD-BA87-48F9-BD83-38ACA4F07A11.jpeg

0F34A591-D870-47B6-9248-2FAB87A460FD.jpeg

C07CA3FF-DD81-44DE-BCD1-E9880099C9EF.jpeg

Off the top of my head I recall the mightycarmods Z used drive by wire using a BRZ/86 throttle pedal, but I'm not sure what throttle body they used.

Nissan seems to have maintained the same throttle body bolt pattern for a number of decades, but I'm not sure if the electronic throttle bodies are the same. If they are, you can grab basically any ETB off a Nissan from this decade in whatever size you want.

Of course, check with haltech docs to make sure whatever you end up with is supported or that they're willing to add support.

I am embarking on this journey. I decided to go with the 350z throttle pedal because it mounts to a vertical firewall with a metal bracket and the pedal sensor it detachable, so if it breaks, it easy to replace. I have an RB25, so I am just going to fabricate an adapter plate for a VK45 throttle body, it's about 75mm. I also run an Elite 2500. It's currently in the car running on a cable throttle. I will keep everyone updated. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ZT-R said:

got the petal mounted yet?

I have not. I have a lot of other things going on. The DBW is a side project that I will be working on over the next year or so. My first step in making the throttle body adapter to get the newer VQ/VK style throttle mounted to the intake, which is designed for the Q45 90mm throttle body. Then I have to add in all the wires needed for it, which require a complete tear down of the harness. Another thing most don't think about is having to mount an additional brake pedal sensor and a clutch sensor so the ECU can cut throttle when those are applied. I have all the supplies, just don't have the time