HybridZ

Reinforcing Front Fender Flares?

BoulderCharles

I've read a lot of front flare installation posts but haven't seen any comments about reinforcing the front fender after cutting the existing fender away. Is reinforcement necessary? With the fender off the car it feels like most of the structure would be lost but I realize it may be fine once bolted back up.

Thanks in advance!

Not usually necessary, but a dirt cheap and easy way to do it is to take a piece of 3/8" hard fuel line, pinch the ends in a vise, drill holes and attach to existing holes in the chassis and fender. I had to do a brace on zredbaron's car because he barely had clearance between tire and fender and then bent the fender just a hair. When he turned the wheel the fender hit the tire. Took about 10 minutes, worked great. 

Agree with JonM....it's usually not necessary.  After cutting my front fenders, I rolled a small inner lip to add some structural integrity.  Made a big difference.

One think to keep in mind:  it may actually be helpful to NOT do anything to add stiffness here.  For whatever reason, one may want the ability to push or pull the fender in/out in order to gain more clearance or reduce front end width....or just for purely aesthetic reasons.  Adding stiffness to the fender metal makes this harder to do.