HybridZ

#6 fouling

L28 54/MN47 

Short block is fresh for the most part. New bearings , rings 

rebuilt head 530 lift cam 

megasquirt 3 - NA 

It’s a long story but this is what I’ve done 

Compression test 220 + or - 5 all cylinders . 

Coolant pressure test - passed

leakdown - less than 5%

swapped coils , plugs, wires , injectors, injectors connectors . 

Checked valve lash - several times 

checked for vacuum leaks 

vacuum is about 9 at idle 

vacuum needle bounces badly - especially at idle . It’s hard to make out a reading. The MAP gauge on MS is not that erratic ,  but it isn’t smooth either .

Is it possible to have a bad HG and still get 225 on a compression tester?

Is it possible to have a broken ring and pass a leakdown ?

Is it possible for either of these tests be mute under running conditions ?

I am at a loss and ready to rip it’s head off but will take any last ditch efforts and thoughts .

Edited by madkaw

I was chasing some AFR issues for years until I realized my intake manifold was not properly aligned with head. It was causing too lean condition on first 3 cylinders and too rich AFR on last 3 cylinders. Maybe worth a check? I found it while I was disassembling intake to port it. 

Maybe the ECU is commanding #6 more than it should.  If you replaced everything and still have the same issue, look at what controls it all and that is the Megasquirt ECU.  Look into your files, see if your settings are the same.  I have no experience with mega, just being a technician and looking what controls it.

5 hours ago, Lazeum said:

I was chasing some AFR issues for years until I realized my intake manifold was not properly aligned with head. It was causing too lean condition on first 3 cylinders and too rich AFR on last 3 cylinders. Maybe worth a check? I found it while I was disassembling intake to port it. 

So the intake was biased forward or backwards ? So are you saying this didn’t cause a vacuum leak but caused inconsistency in the runners ?

3 hours ago, silverado22c said:

Maybe the ECU is commanding #6 more than it should.  If you replaced everything and still have the same issue, look at what controls it all and that is the Megasquirt ECU.  Look into your files, see if your settings are the same.  I have no experience with mega, just being a technician and looking what controls it.

Well it’s batch fire and I swapped the leads between 5&6 with no change . 

20 hours ago, madkaw said:

So the intake was biased forward or backwards ? So are you saying this didn’t cause a vacuum leak but caused inconsistency in the runners ?

That's right. The intersection of intake runners and head port made flow section being inconsistent. Weird knowing intake (Cannon Manifold with 40 DCOE) were used in the past on different head with no problem. I'm talking about 2mm difference between #1 & #6.

1 hour ago, Lazeum said:

That's right. The intersection of intake runners and head port made flow section being inconsistent. Weird knowing intake (Cannon Manifold with 40 DCOE) were used in the past on different head with no problem. I'm talking about 2mm difference between #1 & #6.

Running a stock n42

17 hours ago, silverado22c said:

The vacuum seems low.  You can either smoke the system, to see smoke coming out, showing a vacuum leak.  Or you spray carb cleaner at items near number 6, trying to locate a vacuum leak.  The engine will some out when consuming the carb cleaner.

Sprayed it down and couldn’t find anything

Sounds like a rich condition more than oil fouling. Can you run the injectors and rail off of the manifold and compare the spray patterns?

Vacuum does seem pretty low unless it's a radical cam. I get about 17-18 inHg at idle with a .540"/270° cam. It's all about the overlap and IVC point so you can also have poor vacuum if the cam is too far retarded. Doesn't necessarily explain a fouled plug but worth looking into.

45 minutes ago, Leon said:

Sounds like a rich condition more than oil fouling. Can you run the injectors and rail off of the manifold and compare the spray patterns?

Vacuum does seem pretty low unless it's a radical cam. I get about 17-18 inHg at idle with a .540"/270° cam. It's all about the overlap and IVC point so you can also have poor vacuum if the cam is too far retarded. Doesn't necessarily explain a fouled plug but worth looking into.

Pretty sure I can the cam timing right , but maybe time to check. 

Not sure how I could get 225psi on retarded timing 

Edited by madkaw

So I pulled the intake and found and oily residue lining the intake runner of 4-6 . Looks like # 6 could have a bad oil seal . Maybe bad enough to foul the mixture . The plug always looked more like carbon fouling and brushed off pretty well with a wire brush so I didn’t suspect oil . Not sure if a bad oil seal would cause my bouncy vacuum readings unless I’m seeing this as a misfire . Hopefully the guide itself is not bad . I tried a different type oil seal instead of the Ford seal and I guess I didn’t get one right . I’m assuming the color in the plugs on 4&5 is from a small amount is containment from #6 oil getting sucked over from the plenum . 

The pic is brand new plugs ran in a warm up cycle- I know , not the best, but car is on lift . 1-3 looks clean and is running 13-14 AFR. 4-6 get progressively worse. 

Valve pic is #6 . 

D4955712-2200-486F-BF87-EBE2AD0B87FF.jpeg

C51E5488-0D05-48F2-AC43-6C7D636876AD.jpeg

2A89E586-4589-4F66-A4F2-285E02D22CB7.jpeg

Banned from Fascistbook for a Homer Simpson Meme I DOWNLOADED from Fascistbook...

Back three look rich compared to front three.

Where is your FPR? I agree with JeffP that firing all injectors at once is a TERRIBLE idea! This will cause a serious drop in fuel rail pressure which will screw with the mix. Load sensing enrichment is better with manifold referenced FPR than static. He’s incorrect in terminology, that’s not a “rising rate”, that’s simply “manifold referenced 1:1”... a “rising rate” would increase it 1:2 or 1:3 etc meaning static is X pressure, 5# of boost is then X+10 or X+15 psi whereas a standard manifold reference would be X+5 psi, and at idle with 18”hg it would be X-9psi making your injectors variable capacity. Idle benefits by lower pressure because you use longer pw which makes resolution better for adjustability, and on WOT you run as a non-referenced unless you get to the point where the engine bottlenecks through the throat and it slightly leans out (like L-Series need past peaktorque anyway...)

Mine ran like poop until I switched to alternating two pulses per cycle instead of single pulse simultaneous.

Who says? MS Megamanual. Good enough creds there?

I think that’s enough for a start, but something is grouped 123-456.