HybridZ

Hitachi SU's

Hi all,

I am looking to rebuild our Hitachi SU's for my 260z.

Unfortunately I cant really find a comprehensive kit. I would like to have the gasket and seals, the floats the jets/needles and all the consumables, to get them working like clockwork.

I was told to look for someone by the name of Tony D, he apparently is an expert on the subject matter.

I would appreciate if you can help me locate the parts. 

Thanks in advance

Chassis87

If I recall I got my rebuild parts off of rockauto.com, but I don't think I got needles with them. I believe the needles are interchangeable between the round-top and flat-top carbs, so ztherapy might be a good source for those, or I have also heard of importing SU parts from the UK, but I have not yet confirmed this for myself.

Here's a comment I made on reddit regarding the flat tops:

First off, you're going to get a lot of people telling you those are bad carbs and that you should replace them with the older model. It's up to you whether or not you listen to them, though I'm personally against it.

All CV carbs work basically the same, but here's some resources specific to these carbs. This is some of the best info I've found so far.

http://xenonzcar.com/s30/carbs.html

http://xenonzcar.com/s30/files/1973 240z 1974 260z fuel system modifications.pdf

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/60309-were-bringin-back-the-flat-tops/

2 hours ago, bunkhouse said:

ZTherapy in Salem, Oregon is my "go to" for parts and advice. They also have a DVD called "Just SUs" . I highly recommend it along with the SU kits.

Just sent them an email to check on the kit, we have plenty of experience with normal SU's. 

The issue is that we need parts, and since im based in Malta, Europe...ideally it would be a one stop shop.

2 hours ago, ZHoob2004 said:

If I recall I got my rebuild parts off of rockauto.com, but I don't think I got needles with them. I believe the needles are interchangeable between the round-top and flat-top carbs, so ztherapy might be a good source for those, or I have also heard of importing SU parts from the UK, but I have not yet confirmed this for myself.

Here's a comment I made on reddit regarding the flat tops:

If parts are interchangeable with normal su's we shouldn't have an issue.

However gaskits and hitachi su specific parts i need, and since im a long way from the US ideally it would be a 1 stop shop.

@chassis87 I realize now the Hitachi SUs you're referring to are the flat top SUs used in 73 and 74. If you head over to CZCC.com there are a couple of flat top experts and an excellent thread called " Bringing back the flat tops" that discusses parts, rebuilding and the different models of flat-top hitachis and why these carbs can be superior to the round-top SUs.