HybridZ

280z 2+2 Automatic R200

HootyHoo

I’ve been browsing the forum for a bit searching as to how simple it is to replace the r180 that comes with the 1978 280z 2+2 Automatic with an r200 3.9 differential! 

I’ve read some that say it’s a simple drop in, and others contradicting it. I just want a final answer, or a place to find it. I’ve browsed the Factory Service Manual for this year also, but I can’t seem to find it either. 

R200 swap requires:

1 - differential

2 - R200 mustache bar

3 - matching axles

Driveshaft should bolt up. It may be possible to use your existing axles, but I can't say for sure.

Depending what you're looking for, you may be better suited by the Subaru STI R180 swap which would use your existing mustache bar, but require axle adapters on the diff side.

Depending on what flange your specific R200 has, it often needs to be swapped to match your driveshaft (or the flange on the driveshaft needs to be swapped to match the diff).  See the attached photo for reference data.

Also, if you haven't already done so, I would read all the relevant threads on this topic in the Drivetrain FAQs.  Tons of great info in there.  https://forums.hybridz.org/forum/83-drivetrain/

R200 diff-flanges.jpg