HybridZ

240Z diesel

Okay long story short, ive had this car since 2011.

can achieve 37mpg, reliable and rather stock exterior.

S30 body aint designed for low end torque and i can feel something going on, yea sure its best to bring whole body apart and do an rollgage.

So strut bars to front and back and lets talk about that rear suspension, there might be something which could to better

bF93bMl.jpg

engine bay

Nv4UWNf.jpg

tIKEv8C.jpg

i took shape from the hood so i can see clearences, there is some room.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6vNuZHj.jpg

With this one i might gone too far :)

but yeah, orange spots being mustache bar bolts and those four dots, was it four M8 or M10 holding whole rear suspension from rear together. Seems legit, heard no one breaking those though

Edited by manninen

wk9ulzK.jpg

About the suspension, i have bmw limited slip diff, its now hooked to mustache bar.

Why not combine mustache bar to transverse links, stock 3part to one part system

With this it might be road legal issue here in finland so i have to think about it

is it flexing 17:30?

Okay these are my thoughts this time

Edited by manninen

4 hours ago, manninen said:

About the suspension, i have bmw limited slip diff, its now hooked to mustache bar.

Why not combine mustache bar to transverse links, stock 3part to one part system

With this it might be road legal issue here in finland so i have to think about it

Okay these are my thoughts this time

Something like: https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p31/Rear_Suspension_Conversion.html

For a lot less work they also have: https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p29/Rear_Tubular_Strut_Brace.html

I have no affiliation with them nor have I used these products.  The quality of their products looks decent though.

rear-control-arm-240z260z280z_2.jpg

today i received these control arms. Seems decent quality, 4.8kg weight, can be used with stock rubber inner bushings.

PU bushings which came installed seems to be softer than energy suspension bushings i had. Outer bushings are tight fit, couldn´t take them off by two fingers.

x86ReLh.jpg

Here´s my only alignment sheet i´ve done. i dont know if left toe comes from worn PU bushings. rear toe might be leveled between left/right by just moving transverse links, cant remember how loose their holes were.

Here´s quite similar stuff to 240Z, about toe perspective.

I think im going with 2mm toe-in on both axles

1 hour ago, LLave said:

Yikes. Those rear control arms are interesting. That seems like the worst possible location and wrong plane to put flat plate in. 

My thoughts as well. Why make a tubular control arm and not continue the tubes all the way to the pickup point? That plate doesn't look thick enough to me. 

3 hours ago, manninen said:

000002065864.jpeg

bought bmw z3 abs unit similar to this, it does have two pipes on front and one for back. pretty old school E30 style.

let´s hope theres room for this

How are you going to control this? With the original E30 computer? I've been exploring ABS a bit but haven't found something very tunable other than the expensive Bosch setup. 

2 hours ago, Neverdone said:

Can you take a photo of how you installed the diff that isn't just a MS Paint version of an old photo?

xzLDUzb.jpg

its like this now. 

s-l300.jpg

so with this end it would be bolted to transverse links

49 minutes ago, calZ said:

My thoughts as well. Why make a tubular control arm and not continue the tubes all the way to the pickup point? That plate doesn't look thick enough to me. 

yes tell me about it, there is no control arms i like 100%, i chose these cause there is no heim joints. plate is maybe 5-6mm. heaviest part of arm and located on tyre end, no don´t do it like this. Maybe done like this so TTT and apex could not blame copying?

43 minutes ago, calZ said:

How are you going to control this? With the original E30 computer? I've been exploring ABS a bit but haven't found something very tunable other than the expensive Bosch setup. 

it has internal control unit

Edited by manninen

There is not so much forces that will bend control arm. Most of the vertical forces are directing to the strut. Control arms get involved mainly lateral forces. So i think those arms are just fine.

Btw. is this same car that is some vids from kalajoki @youtube many years ago?

Edited by TUME

17 hours ago, calZ said:

I don't know of anyone who has even looked into the abs controller code, but most of the newer units are flash programmable.  As there are only a few manufacturers of abs/stability control systems most cars have the same systems.  So if you can collect the program files for number of different vehicles using the same hardware and compare them much like engine ecu tuning you may be able to tune your own abs.

5 hours ago, TUME said:

There is not so much forces that will bend control arm. Most of the vertical forces are directing to the strut. Control arms get involved mainly lateral forces. So i think those arms are just fine.

Btw. is this same car that is some vids from kalajoki @youtube many years ago?

Yes same car, still alive. i got contacted with Toni L. maybe to get some stock part he might not need.

and yes theres some flaws on every control arms like TTT, arizona, and apex when u start to look them closer. With this polish arm heavy parts are inner bushing bolts and those outer adjust/bushing parts, arm itself is quite light

3 hours ago, caperix said:

I don't know of anyone who has even looked into the abs controller code, but most of the newer units are flash programmable.  As there are only a few manufacturers of abs/stability control systems most cars have the same systems.  So if you can collect the program files for number of different vehicles using the same hardware and compare them much like engine ecu tuning you may be able to tune your own abs.

Im going with stock code, i have valve for rear brakes. i ´ve had only close call on german autobahn when i had to brake quickly cause of stau, with ABS you can just hit it and wait

Edited by manninen