HybridZ

Timing cover won't fit easily, fighting head

scartail

Hey guys, I'm putting my l28et back together. The timing cover wont go back in easily. What gives? Do I need to shave the top of the cover? 

Here is the cover dry fitted. I've tapped the cover with a mallet, but it won't seat fully. Still a sizable gap. The locating pins are aligned to holes. Chain guides aren't in and no gaskets. 

IMG_20191125_141020.jpg

Edited by scartail
More info

If the block wasn't decked, then it should still fit if it's assembled in the right order. If the block was decked, the timing cover should have been decked with it.

I did the exact same thing when I was reassembling my motor a few months back, but it all went together fine once I loosened the head and did things the right way. I don't have any input on longevity being affected, since I have less than 10 hours of runtime since I finished assembly and installation.

I reused the head gasket when I did this, since I don't think torquing a head should suddenly make a head gasket "used", but I'm also not using MLS right now, and it's not that inconvenient to do a head gasket on these motors.

thanks for all the inputs.

i didn't have  it decked. but the new hg may be slightly thicker (uncompressed).

after tapping a little more, i noticed that the top corner of the cover was digging into the hg. i ended putting some rtv on the corner and along the gasket, and tightening it down.

Edited by scartail
more info