HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
calZ

Front brake upgrade with slip-on rotor

Has anyone ever used a slip-on rotor on the front? I've been interested in making it happen since it would match the rears(T3 Q45 swap), and it would mean I could pull the rotors off without having to mess with the wheel bearings. I found a rotor that I think would do the trick. It's a front rotor for a 99-01 Ford Explorer and has 0.2mm clearance on the center bore and 0.6mm on the outer hub bore. The rotor is 26mm thick instead of the standard 28mm the Q45 front calipers are made for, but that's not an issue. The inboard face of the rotor would end up ~10mm further out than stock, but I don't think that's in an unreasonable spot. Thoughts? I'll attach the drawing of the Explorer rotor below.

Btw, the European Brembo site has a "search by size" option for rotors. Great tool for coming up with custom brake solutions. https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en/catalogue/size?producttype=Disc&th=28&a=68&issizetolerance=True

brembo_explorer.png

Edited by calZ

4 hours ago, LooseRocks said:

What exactly do you mean by "inboard face"?  The face in contact with the hub?

The surface that contacts the innermost brake pad. 

49 minutes ago, Neverdone said:

Are you currently running a Z31 front hub or some custom hub?

Those rotors are 5 lug is why I ask.

I have Z31 hubs that I used to mock up a wheel speed sensor add-on, but yes, I'm waiting on some 5-lug hubs from T3.

The outboard face is 8 mm from OE  which means the center is 4 mm out.  Will that require new brake caliper mounting brackets that allow for the 4mm offset?  I suppose some spacers and longer caliper mounting bolts might work if having the caliper 4 mm away does not cause some weird stress issue for the caliper mounting brackets.  Might be wheel fitment issues for those that have wheels with minimal caliper clearance.

With no basis for a single grain of truth (not ME or have run any CAD stress sim) I can't imagine 4 mm being an issue for too much added stress on the caliper mounting brackets.  The wheel fitment might be the only stopper for people that already have their wheel fitment dialed with their current setup.  Would love to have over hub rotors though.  If you can figure out a formula that works with T3 current 300 MM BBK that would be awesome.  I don't really understand why the don't just make a deeper hat option so it can go over the hub.