HybridZ

vk56de into 240z questions

Hello, i have some cash ready to purchase an engine for my '73 240z project. I found out that the vk56de is a very capable engine and can handle alot of power. They are inexpensive and widely available. My power goal has been 400 hp and i think it would be cheaper to build this engine to 400 hp than it would be to build an rb25det to 400hp. And it could probably stay n/a too. Also mating it to a CD009 trans is cheaper than mating an rb25 to a CD009. However, i cant seem to find much info on successful swaps of this engine into a 240z. Can anyone tell me how big of an endeavor this would be? is it possible? Or any links to somewhere i can find some detailed information about this. 

and no i dont want to do an LS or SBC, id like to keep the engine in the nissan family. 

Thank you!

McKinney Motorsports is the only s30 I've seen. Rebuild prices are pretty high for the vk56 if you need head work, no off the shelf piston upgrades exist either. Great engine but expensive to upgrade, camshafts are available from JWT and Kelford, oversized valves and springs as well. The camshaft lifter buckets are the killer in price due to a design change and being $8-20 a piece for 32 valves to correctly set the lash it adds up quick.

There is a pretty good following for the vk56 on Facebook, look for the vknation group and you'll find some good knowledge available from guys on there.

Edited by 1969honda

I think you're gonna find a lot more info on people swapping VK's into their 350 and 370z's. However, most of the information you'll glean from them applies to our cars as well.

https://mckinneymotorsports.org/vk56de/datsun-240260280z-s30-vk56de-motor-mounting-kit

This link is very confusing as it clearly says it's for a VK56 mount in a 240z...yet when you click on it, it brings you to a VQ mount...maybe it's the same mount?

I'd shoot them a message if you want to use their parts for this swap before spending money to make sure it'll work.

• 1 year later...

McKinney does have a mount system they have developed, as well as few other engine swap related parts.  Binge of them however are advertised on their website. I emailed them back and forth quite a bit a couple years ago in this very subject and was told that they were trying to come up with a streamline prices to produce the parts and release them.  It's definetly worth calling or emailing as stated by @Neverdone.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:09 AM, Neverdone said:

I think you're gonna find a lot more info on people swapping VK's into their 350 and 370z's. However, most of the information you'll glean from them applies to our cars as well.

https://mckinneymotorsports.org/vk56de/datsun-240260280z-s30-vk56de-motor-mounting-kit

This link is very confusing as it clearly says it's for a VK56 mount in a 240z...yet when you click on it, it brings you to a VQ mount...maybe it's the same mount?

I'd shoot them a message if you want to use their parts for this swap before spending money to make sure it'll work.

There's a chance they are the same mounts. A lot of Frontier guys do a "Titan Swap" to get the VK56 instead of their VQ40, and the swap the suspension (apparently it's nearly bolt in?) to get a cheap-ish wider track and long travel suspension