HybridZ

280ZX R200 LSD Swap- Axles?

Andrew Wake

Hello all, I have a 280ZX with an R200 open diff. In the next few years I plan on swapping the engine to make some more horsepower (300-500hp), but want to make sure my axle can handle it. I know the R200 is sturdier than the smaller diffs, and that problems often happen when one wheel spins. An LSD also helps for track driving, and driving in general (no I will not do a welded diff). 

There are several LSD carriers for the R200, marketed for the 300ZX, such as the OEM, M Factory, and OBX. There are plenty of forums and videos of people swapping the carriers for the S30 chassis, and they all talk about converting to 300ZX CV axles. My question is- If I swap the carrier for an LSD, can I use the 280ZX CV axles?

Yes, there is Whitehead performance in Canada but there is also another one in the states that I forget the name of. They are not cheap but if your running 400+ hp and have a stick shift it's going to be a necessary upgrade. If you have slightly less hp and an auto trans you will be less likely to snap it I'd say. I went all out and did 300m 39spline stubs and converted to 300zx cv joints and I've been beaten on it for 5 yrs now, no issue at all

8 minutes ago, G-Tech said:

Yes, there is Whitehead performance in Canada but there is also another one in the states that I forget the name of. They are not cheap but if your running 400+ hp and have a stick shift it's going to be a necessary upgrade. If you have slightly less hp and an auto trans you will be less likely to snap it I'd say. I went all out and did 300m 39spline stubs and converted to 300zx cv joints and I've been beaten on it for 5 yrs now, no issue at all

I believe Driveshaft Shop may be the other vendor for stub axles that you're thinking of?