HybridZ

CX Racing 280z LS install issues ??

Hi everyone, 

i'm finally getting around to mocking up my LQ9 and T56 combo in my 75 280z using the CX Racing kit, a couple of things i noticed and i wanted to see if anyone else has had these issues before reaching out to CX Racing.

1 - the mounts dont sit flush on the subframe ( Photos 1 & 4) . The bolt surface mates up fine, but the side pieces that have "cx racing" stamped on them have a fairly big gap against the stock subframe. This is present on both mount pieces

2 - The transmission mount. I ended up using the adapters that connect to the stock tranny ears. with the tranny mount installed, the rear bracket points (Where theyre supposed to bolt through the seat belt holes) don't line up on the drivers side. the passengers side i can probably fanagle, its not too bad ( Photo 5) , but the drivers side tunnel on my 280 has a larger hump, and the bracket is no where near even possible to bolting up, theres maybe a 5" gap before it reaches (Photos 2& 3 ). Last photo is taken in the car through the shifter showing the gap between the mount and drivers side tunnel. 

Has anyone had these issues before? Hoping this isn't a major flaw with the parts, i hear CX customer service can be hit or miss. And for some reason i can't find the youtube video for their install either..

image1 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Edited by boostfed

I have used a rb cx-racing swap kit in my build. Don't expect their parts to  fit perfectly. You should expect to modify or replace parts from a kit to make it work. Some parts work out perfect and others are trash and probably included it the kits to make them "complete". All that said, I do like their kit's they get you 75% of the way there for and even lesser fraction of the price of other kits.

I can't say much for tech customer service as i never bothered to call about issues with the products. If they suck, fix it and if its trash, bin it. I have used their customer service to help with shipping or discounts and they have been more than helpful.

I would take some measurements, then take to parts to your welder have have them modified for a closer fit and supported for strength if needed.

I like cx-racing, you just have to have realistic expectations of what your getting for your money. Don't expect a "bolt-on" solution with them.

Thanks for the reply, slowpoke. I guess I should be happy that I’m not the only one. Not really sure if I want to use these parts that require such heavy modification on fairly integral parts. The mounts I wouldn’t be able to bend into the correct position, I’d likely have to make relief cuts, bend them out and weld them. The trans mount I can extend some how probably... either that or I can just replace them with  something that fits and would require less figuring out and fab time. I have some thinking to do, too bad hoke isn’t making parts anymore :(

I have heard of issues on the 280Z chasis with the CX kit - I had the same issue with my engine mount as well so I took it to a machine shop with a large break press and bent the ears to sit flush with the engine crossmember. You can do this at home witha  vice and a propane torch if need be. I also used the side holes and drilled another mounting point for security on the ears. 

For the transmission - Why not return the transmission mount and fab up a full cross mount like the hoke / JTR  style mount? 

https://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/s30-ls2-engine-mounting-kit

Where are you in cali? I could point you in the direction of local machine shop to bend your tans crossmember? Do you have an IG? PM me it ill conenct you with a guy that made his own as well with minimal welding and worked / is holding amazing!

Yeah I might just see if i can take it to a machine shop or just try heating and bending, we’ll see What I feel comfortable with, but the metal looks pretty stout for some home garage stuff.

I might ditch the trans mount... if only hoke were still around. 

I’m located in the South Bay Area, I’m sure I can find a few places to squeeze me in. I think the PM feature is down at the moment. 

has anyone had any experience with Apex? The only reason I haven’t mentioned them is because I’ve heard some stories about their customer service and issues with incomplete orders. It would make it a lot easier on me to just to purchase from them though, but the wait times and possible headaches aren’t likely worth it, if the allegations are true.

Edited by boostfed

So i was able to speak with CX Racing customer service.

I spoke with a representative who was familiar with the LS / S30 platform and he said that on 280z's since the trans tunnel is wider, you would only use the front set of adapter mounts, and not the rear mounting tabs that required drilling to the seatbelt hole / trans tunnel area.

For the motor mount issue, i sent them an email with photos and they told me they'd review the photos, and if there was an issue with the mounts they they'd send me a new set. Not bad so far! Keep in mind that my mounts were purchased about 4 years ago, and they are still willing to look into this issue for me. I'll keep everyone updated, but so far my experience with CX has been good and responsive so far. 

I did the CX and there were several tweaks needed, I just bent the mounts, transmission mount needed tweaking, some of the stuff is the differences in the 240 to 280 stuff, i think they originally did 240 only, but a 72.  Added to that, mine is an early car, still series 1 and a lot of the little tweaks were because of that.  All in all though still pretty happy with the set up.  Don't let this small stuff bug too much.  It will be fine in the end.  JMHO. Richard. 

On 1/7/2020 at 7:00 AM, Richard Oben said:

I did the CX and there were several tweaks needed, I just bent the mounts, transmission mount needed tweaking, some of the stuff is the differences in the 240 to 280 stuff, i think they originally did 240 only, but a 72.  Added to that, mine is an early car, still series 1 and a lot of the little tweaks were because of that.  All in all though still pretty happy with the set up.  Don't let this small stuff bug too much.  It will be fine in the end.  JMHO. Richard. 

This statement is too true - That and remember, you are swapping in a engine and transmission designed for a COMPLETELY different make and model. No matte rhow perfect the kit you will need to be able to tweak it to fit.

i haven't heard back from CX since my last update. Not completely sure if im willing to wait for them to remedy the mounts, i could've bent them out by now, lol. I think between waiting for CX and Maddog rails, its all set me back a bit. I'll probably just push on with everything and make it all fit :)