HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
SlippyD

R200 short nose / long nose and VQ37VHR?

I'd like to run a VQ37VHR engine in my 78 280z.

Here's my question, if I purchase the swap kit, and hook up the VQ37VHR engine, and the transmission that comes with it, is the R200 a viable diff? As long as I do the conversion for the diff swap first, will that set up work?

R200 is an R200. Some years/options had different gearing when you get into the ZX especially, but if your car is manual you already have a 3.54 ratio R200. If you're looking at making it a limited slip that's a different question, but as far holding the power in something that will just be on the street, you're already there. R200 holds plenty of power. The T3 conversion is mostly for folks with a 240z which all came with an R180, or those looking to use a short nose R200/R230 and make it bolt in from Silvas/240sx or later 300zx cars. 

R230 is probably overkill. For reference, 230mm is just over 9" which is even more than some guys with dedicated drag setups run. Unless you're planning on going turbo, your best bet is to just find an R200 LSD to bolt in in place of your current one, or doing an OBX or Quaife LSD. Both you can find plenty of info on by searching the site. Honestly sometimes more than you'd care to know. 

See chart:

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

Man do I hate how Nissan didn't choose to re-name the short nose R200...

1) You've obviously gota be talking about the shortnose R200 that came with the Q45/350z/370z. This is because your car currently already has an R200, albeit a longnose R200m which has a completely different carrier, and in the 280z, was an open diff.

2) The only question anyone should be asking is, "What do you mean by 'viable'?"

Will it work? Yeah.

Will it break? Not unless you're gonna be putting way more power then what came stock and using some incredibly meaty tires.

Is it the best diff you could use? There is no best.

3) Technotoy tuning sells a conversion kit to use the shortnose R200, which also uses custom uprights to use plug-in axles, as opposed to a stub axle+companion flange set up which the S30 came with. There's lots of befits that that rear end conversion also brings, but it's at no small cost. If it is worth it or not is completely up to you. 

That should answer the questions you were asking.