HybridZ

Possible LS 280z project need help and advice

I have a 2002 Trans Am WS6 with an LS6 swap that recently met its end with a concrete barrier. I was looking at possibly getting another 280z since that was my first car ad I still love them. I also have a complete on3 turbo kit that I was planning on installing this summer. 

I live in Arkansas so a/c is a must. So far looks like Hoke was the only one that had mounts that cleared an OEM compressor. JCI has a kit for his a/c that will require custom lines. Is there any other mount kits that you use and OEM style F-body compressor?

I was also thinking of completely gutting the Z and using as much of the wiring as possible from the WS6 since it is a complete well maintained car and isn't 40 plus years old  Any thoughts on this? Has anyone used an F-body steering column in a Z? I have seen a few threads on the Saturn electric columns but have not looked too far into them. 

Get comfortable and read, read, read, read this forum, then read it some more.  

Most don't use the entire F body harness, lots of weight and complexity that is not needed (we used a new aftermarket 8 circuit chassis harness).  Some do use AC, not sure if anyone facilitates the stock F body compressor.  There is a solution for the stock mount with a smaller compressor.  What is the budget?  Thinking 'we got donor the car, all that is need is the 280z shell' is the path to madness, both mentally and financially.  

A lot of people will say it can be done for $5k or some silly crap.  Find out how many they have done.  It is a big project, lot of 'while we are in here' stuff comes up like rear end, Limited slip? axles stubs, springs and the all important etc.  Good S30 Z cars are getting harder and harder to find and even harder to find inexpensively.  

All of the above is just a caution.  DO IT, it is so worth it, keep the LS stock to start with.  Stock power in a 2,400 pound car is hilarious, we have driven several thousand miles at this point and all of them fun.  

All of the above is only my opinion.  Having done a total restoration on one 240 Z.  And one 240Z with an LS1 6 speed conversion.  (FYI, I spent about $17k on the LS car and did it as cheap as I thought was safe. no paint, no coil overs, nothing fancy)  

Trackzpeed and I both have build threads here, his is much more comprehensive than mine.  HTH, Richard.    

Edited by Richard Oben

Thanks for the reply Richard. I ended up spending more on a donor car than i intended. Ended up with a '73 240z. The car has floors and the bad dog frame rails already. A lot was done on the exterior so basically starting with a nice clean slate. Reading over another similar build thread to what I am attempting, shows the GM column probably is a no go. I want to use the cluster from the WS6 so not sure yet how I will attempt the wiring yet. I will keep reading and reading. My budget is already blown, so trying to sell off as many of my old f-body parts as I can. This will definitely not be a quick project. 

Sounds like a good plan, with a good shell.  We did the Bad Dog rails, which help a lot.  Start a build thread, at least we can help if we can see what is going on.  I can personally say there is no way I would have attempted the project without this forum.  There are guys here who are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.  If there is 'what should I do now' question, search and ask.  

The 240 probably has a R180 and 24 spline hubs, if leaving them in be very careful, they could be the weak link.  Richard.