HybridZ

Mating CR 5-Speed to L24

rand

I'm in the process of rebuilding the L24 out of my 71 Series-1 240Z.  I was planning on using the original Type-A 4-speed transmission, but recently found a close-ratio 5-speed and decided to get it.  I stupidly bought a clutch for the 4-speed a year ago (this one), so now I'm wondering what parts I can still use and what I need to buy.  Would someone out there mind taking a look at my parts list and give it a sanity check?

• Slave Cylinder: I'm assuming the old one isn't going to fit the new 5-speed, so I'm planning on buying this one
  • Clutch Collar: Can I use the one out of the 4-speed, or should I buy a new one?
  • Clutch Fork: The transmission didn't come with a clutch fork. The one from the 4-speed seems to fit, but I figure I should get the one that's meant to work with the collar and slave cylinder (this one).
  •  Clutch: I already bought this 240Z clutch, so it would be nice if I can still use it.  I have the original flywheel that I'm planning on installing.

I was under the impression that all 72+ clutches are the same until you get to the 2+2 and turbo clutch.

Rockauto shows the same slave cylinder and clutch kit for 4 speed and the later cars.

I would be surprised if the clutch fork is different, since the 4 and 5 speeds are basically the same transmission +/- an overdrive gear.

The only thing to check is the release collar, and which one you use is dependent on the stack height of your clutch/flywheel assembly. If the new setup is the same height as the old one, then you will use the same collar.

When you blot up the tranny make sure to try the clutch fork with your hand.  It should have a small amount of play before engaging.  If you can move it a half inch or so the release bearing collar is too short.  If the lever has no free play and you cannot move it then you probably have top long of a collar.  I've screwed this up so many times over the years and finally came to my senses about checking up front.  You can measure everything on the bench too and come to the same conclusion but I'd still try it by hand to make sure you don't have some other problem related to the fork.

• 3 weeks later...

So it looks like the throwout/collar/fork from the 4-speed definitely won't work on the 5-speed.  I'm going to buy a collar/fork for the 280 and see how they fit.  I took a video to show what the 4-speed parts look like on the 5-speed here: 

The pressure plate must match the throwout bearing sleeve to give ~92mm from the flywheel surface to the ears that the clutch fork sits on.  Four speed or five speed doesn't matter at all.  The clutch parts can't tell what transmission is being used.  Take a look at the parts and you'll see that.

Here's some Google stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS862US862&ei=1whKXvfyCY7y-gSCp7SADg&q=280z+pressure+plate+92mm&oq=280z+pressure+plate+92mm&gs_l=psy-ab.3...200050.201055..201506...0.1..0.63.232.4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.ywr3rTDnSOU&ved=0ahUKEwi3upTr0tfnAhUOuZ4KHYITDeAQ4dUDCAs&uact=5