HybridZ

What 5 Speed Transmission do I have and what clutch to buy

Hey all. I have a early 71 240z with a 5 speed transmission. I just pulled the engine and transmission out today for the first time since I have owned the car. I want to go through the motor and trans and put a new clutch in it. I have no idea what transmission the PO put in this car. Also I want to order the correct stage 1 clutch kit for the set up I have. Here's a few pics of the transmission , hope there is any way to tell what it is 280z? ZX? Also any recommendations on a good clutch? Thanks

20200128_210529.jpg

20200128_210523.jpg

20200128_210518.jpg

20200128_210515.jpg

I may be misremembering, but I think that the early 5 speeds had 2x mounting ears on the back of the extension housing (unused on the s30) while the layer zx boxes only had one on the left side. Seeing as yours has 2, I think it's an earlier box.

The better way to find out is to mark the shafts with a sharpie and run it through all the gears and count the ratios, then reference them to an FSM or one of the many convenient online charts.

Also the clutch for all 72?-83 z cars is the same, minus the 2+2 and turbo models.

10 hours ago, ZHoob2004 said:

I may be misremembering, but I think that the early 5 speeds had 2x mounting ears on the back of the extension housing (unused on the s30) while the layer zx boxes only had one on the left side. Seeing as yours has 2, I think it's an earlier box.

The better way to find out is to mark the shafts with a sharpie and run it through all the gears and count the ratios, then reference them to an FSM or one of the many convenient online charts.

Also the clutch for all 72?-83 z cars is the same, minus the 2+2 and turbo models.

Thank you, I will order a clutch for a 280z. Not too worried about the gearing, seems to be fine and I'm not racing the car.

10 hours ago, Ereschkigal said:

Clutch can be 225 or 245 as I remember.

If you can, measure it.

So measure the outside diameter of the disk with a tape measure and convert to MM? 

When finding a clutch I know I would like a stage 1. How ever there are a ton out there, all different brands and they seem to have different variables about each of them, some heavy duty with different weight pressures ect. Anyone have any particular recommendations on a clutch. I'm assuming I have a 280z gear box with 24 spline.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 12:51 AM, ZHoob2004 said:

Can someone tell me how and why the turbo clutch is different? 
I know the casting that the throw out bearing is different but I always wondered why. 

Turbo clutch is a larger diameter friction disc. If you so desired (and many often do) you could use a turbo (240mm) flywheel with a turbo clutch on any l-series engine/transmission combo.

I have no idea if the release bearing collar is different. If it is, it's because the stack height of the flywheel/pressure plate is different, which is what determines the release collar height.

There is a lot of misleading information out there.  The clutch does not "know" what transmission is attached.  Don't worry about that.  They're all the same dimensions n the bellhousing and have the same shaft spline count. 

If you can get a clutch kit that has the throwout bearing sleeve in it you'll be best off.  The sleeve/collar has to be the proper one for the pressure plate to give the proper distance for the clutch fork action.  This is where most people get screwed up.  Buying just a pressure plate, that doesn't work with the sleeve/collar.  That web site that's out there with the pictures of the various sleeves by transmission is essentially useless.  Don't take that advice.

If you're planning to buy a new flywheel the 225mm flywheels are very hard to find.  225 is the coupe flywheel, 240mm is the 2+2 or turbo flywheel.

"Stages" will vary with manufacturer.

Yeah, What NewZed said, , but really just do the upgrade to the 2+2 clutch, you'll need the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Stage 1, is pretty much that, but I've had good luck with exedy.  The kit usually comes with the thowout bearing and the pilot bearing.  

As for the tranny, if you find the code on it, it'll be a lot easier to identify. you can also show us the Shifter to narrow it down a little.