HybridZ

Serious l28 high horsepower build

Tyris825

This is my first post, I’ve came here for advice. 
im in the process of building my first major engine, a 3.0 l28 turbo stroker.

first of all for ecu I am planning on running the electromotive tec3.

ill be running a n47 block bored 3mm over 240z rods, and a ld28 crank, p90 head and 240sx pistons.

im planning on running twin rear mounted garret g25’s with a custom ITB plenum setup, 2 injectors per cylinder, and custom rear mounted intercooler with air intakes in the quarter windows for the intercooler.

now I’m not quite sure if all of this is gona work out but, I just wanted to post and see if anyone had any suggestions on anything I have wrong.

.ty

Why are you running two injectors per cylinder?

You might want to upgrade to a modern ECU. You'll probably have a hard time finding a Tuner that will work with that dinosaur :)

A rear mounted intercooler is just complicating things and adding piping - you want to minimize it as much as possible....

How much of this stuff do you actually have already? If the answer is almost none, then good. Because there are more efficient ways than what you describe to make serious power with an L28 ET.

As a start, twinscroll single turbo instead of twins, decent newer ECU controlling 6 injectors of the needed size, front mount intercooler.

6 hours ago, Ereschkigal said:

I'm definitely not an expert but in a "Serious l28 high horsepower build" I wouldn't try to run 45 year old rods and oem pistons.

I was planning on running 240z length eagle h beams, but I understand the confusion. 
but I haven’t found any pistons that seem any better for a 91mm piston.

20 minutes ago, bradyzq said:

How much of this stuff do you actually have already? If the answer is almost none, then good. Because there are more efficient ways than what you describe to make serious power with an L28 ET.

As a start, twinscroll single turbo instead of twins, decent newer ECU controlling 6 injectors of the needed size, front mount intercooler.

So far I have my engine tire down, a intercooler, and some exhaust piping and a lot of seals.

what size turbo whould you recommend for making big hp, and also this build wasn’t just for hp it’s more of a passion project, and the way I liked it

JE, Mahle or Wiseco will have great piston options. Modern skirt coatings, top coatings and ring pack are going to be necessary with higher HP goals. 

For ECU's, anything from Link, Haltech or AEM will be good. Megasquirt is also an option but a lot of it depends on the preference of whoever you have tune this beast.

"h beams"... 

One of my favorite interview questions/engineering thought exercises is, "why is it that all connecting rods in modern engines have I-beam cross sections"?

As to the topic at hand, I'll be honest and say that this reads like a list of parts that sound "cool" without any further thought behind it. If that's what you want, go for it. But you asked for suggestions on anything you have "wrong". I advise to keep it simple and actually build it rather than slowly melting in a sea of self-created and pointless complexity, eventually resulting in abandonment of the project. Start small.

I am offset grinding a LD28 crank to get me 84.5 stroke.  I will use eagle toyota rods and custom pistons from rebello.  Then Datsun spirit valves on a ported and polished E31.  88.5 bore on either an F54 or N42 block.  I will be going NA with 45s ITB.  Bonk cam.  Should be fun and I think it will be close to a 3.2L.  

15 hours ago, Leon said:

"h beams"... 

One of my favorite interview questions/engineering thought exercises is, "why is it that all connecting rods in modern engines have I-beam cross sections"?

As to the topic at hand, I'll be honest and say that this reads like a list of parts that sound "cool" without any further thought behind it. If that's what you want, go for it. But you asked for suggestions on anything you have "wrong". I advise to keep it simple and actually build it rather than slowly melting in a sea of self-created and pointless complexity, eventually resulting in abandonment of the project. Start small.

This is an amazing response, you single handedly described what I’ve been going through

On 1/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, Brad-ManQ45 said:

I just bought the MSPro system for my '83ZXT...

What kind of HP are you looking for?

I know it’s a lot to ask, but I’m trying to get around 500 to 600 witch I feel is pushing it with the l28, but I’m new to the l28, so I’m not sure what’s been done before.

I'd be more worried about the brand new head you're gonna need to design to push all that air through it over what ECU you're gonna use.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make 600 horsepower on an L28, hell anything is possible with infinite money, but it's realistically, impossible.

Use a different engine.

Twin turbo and twin injectors are a bit out dated lately. Has it been a while since you have looked into tuning? Times have kind of moved on with more advanced ECU's that can handle large CC injectors at low idle, something like the 750cc you will most likely require shouldn't need a smaller injector for idle or anything of that nature. Twin rear mount on an inline 6 just seems gratuitous. A modern single turbo will have adequate spool characteristics or you can cheat with a QSV, but running two same sized turbos ala FD RX7, TT Supra, or the TT subaru that spool one then both at different times is quite a chore when modern compressor housings, twin scroll, QSV and such will bring most to a more than usable power bound. Most rear turbo setups are due to proximity of a rear mount engine, space, laziness, or style. Engine is in the front, you have ample space, the fabrication to mount the intercooler back there and the ducting to bring it back forward would indicate no lack of effort, so short of style it seems kind of silly.

Echoed above, find the ecu the shop or shops around you will tune on unless you have a tuner or plan on doing it yourself.

• Like 1