HybridZ

Transmission fluid at shifter

smsms

Is it normal to have oil at the shifter assembly? I think this is what has been causing my leak. I changed the rear output seal and nothing changed, so this mus be it. Is there any other reason why the oil got here other than an overfilled transmission?

This is a 5 speed in a 77 280z btw

Thanks!

20200211_172923.jpg

There's a seal on the striker rod that dries up or wears, apparently.  Very difficult to get to.  If you overfill you probably get more seepage there.  Not a huge deal except for the annoyance.

Part #22.  You'd have to tear the transmission down to fix it.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/5-speed/22

image.png.9b563607cef5192bf9434a7733f2c71f.png

• Thanks 1

I've had that same leak and I temporarily stopped the leak by wrapping the joint where it's leaking from with thick cotton kitchen cord.  8-10 wraps as tight as the cord will let you without breaking, it wicks up some oil and stops the rest. It worked for over 4 yrs before I sold it and is probably still holding.

• 7 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, grannyknot said:

I've had that same leak and I temporarily stopped the leak by wrapping the joint where it's leaking from with thick cotton kitchen cord.  8-10 wraps as tight as the cord will let you without breaking, it wicks up some oil and stops the rest. It worked for over 4 yrs before I sold it and is probably still holding.

Just wanted to say that this worked great. It has been leak free for the past 6 months!! Thanks Grannyknot!