HybridZ

Front inner fender liners

S30forever

Hey, I'm in search of front fender liners for '76 280z, and so far have Zero luck. Seems like no one sells them, and original ones are all broken and fragile :(

Wondering if someone was able to retrofit them from a different vehicle, I don't mind if fender liner needs cutting, trimming, bending, drilling...

(you know how someone at one point figured Toyota to Datsun front caliper conversion)

Please let me know, much appreciated.

Not cheap, but ZCarSource is always a good source for original parts:  https://zcarsource.com/inner-fender-liner.

Check eBay, too....just saw a listing recently for one.

I have seen folks make their own liners out of those big black plastic barrels.  The heavy material is super durable, yet easy to work with; and one barrel should provide plenty of material for both sides.  

Edited by jhm
completeness

19 hours ago, Ironhead said:

I'm planning on making my own out of either 1/16" or 1/8" ABS.  I haven't done it yet but it looks like it will be fairly simple (famous last words)....

I have had pretty good luck using a heat gun to get ABS to bend. You can set up molds out of MDF or even just bend it over something (like a piece of tubing). The trick is to manage the heat. 

3 hours ago, LLave said:

I have had pretty good luck using a heat gun to get ABS to bend. You can set up molds out of MDF or even just bend it over something (like a piece of tubing). The trick is to manage the heat. 

Well...my plan involved using thin enough ABS that it would follow the wheel well contour without having to be heated or molded....just sort of flex it in and screw it into place.  I am pretty sure I can do this with 1/16", less sure about 1/8"....but the stock fender liners are 1/16" or less thick anyway...

Is there something I am overlooking/am I going to have a rude awakening when I try this?

On 2/14/2020 at 4:11 PM, Ironhead said:

Well...my plan involved using thin enough ABS that it would follow the wheel well contour without having to be heated or molded....just sort of flex it in and screw it into place.  I am pretty sure I can do this with 1/16", less sure about 1/8"....but the stock fender liners are 1/16" or less thick anyway...

Is there something I am overlooking/am I going to have a rude awakening when I try this?

That will probably work fine, as I recall, the bends are all pretty gentle. You could add a little heat for sharper bends, or once you get it in place, dust it with the heat gun and it will hold shape a little bit.