HybridZ

Differential Rear End Options/Opinions

1980280ZXVQ35

I have a 1980 280ZX that will be receiving a VQ35DE and 6-speed manual transmission.  Power will be at the most 300 to the rear wheels. The stock rear end is a R180. I was looking for LSD options and besides the Z31 R200 long-nose differential (cheapest I found was $1200), I have some other options in mind, but every thread specific for the S130 I search references another thread that is no longer available. I have some questions about what axles would be required:

- R200 open-diff rear end with a S15 Silvia Helical LSD and the 10mm to 13mm ring gear adapters: Are there factory nissan axles that would work with a stock 280ZX rear end/hubs? Or would I need custom axles with this setup?

- Z32 Viscous short-nose LSD pumpkin: What axles would I need if installed in the S130 (could only find info on installing this in a S30)?

- 350Z LSD Differential: I have one of these lying around. Does anyone know if there are any off-the-shelf axles that would work with a S130? 

Thank you, 

The 280ZX had the R200 as a standard diff.  So any 280ZX axles would work.  They would clip and bolt right in.

The viscous Z32 probably has the 5 or 6 hole flange so would need an adapter or custom axles.

Same with the 350Z diff.

The long nose R200 with the helical would be the simplest, probably cheapest option.  All bolt-in once you find the axles.  You could use ZX u-joint halfshafts or CV axles.  They u-joint axles are very strong but the CV shafts appear to be a bit stronger.  More ZX's came with u-joint axles than CV's, I think.   Even the diff mount in the car is designed to be multipurpose, you just flip it over. 

Check the ZX FSM chapters to see the axles and the diff mount options.

No. Nissan named two differentials the "R200". You'll see people calling them "longnose R200" and "shortnose R200".

The longnose R200 came on the 280z, 280zx, and Z31 300zx.

The shortnose R200 came on a bunch of Infiniti's in the 90's, and the S14 & S15 and maybe some other vehicles.

Diff+compare+1.jpg

Before you ask, I don't believe you can just swap the LSD from a shortnose R200 into a longnose R200 without a buncha work. I could be wrong, and as always, almost all of this info is out there already.

Edited by Neverdone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverdone said:

Before you ask, I don't believe you can just swap the LSD from a shortnose R200 into a longnose R200 without a buncha work. I could be wrong, and as always, almost all of this info is out there already.

Would probably be less work and similar cost to just get something like the T3 kit to mount the short nose. 

Just like with engine swaps, it's all the tiny little things that start to add up and drain you. I would stay on the lookout for a good R200 longnose LSD. $1200 seems very high unless it's been rebuilt. I was lucky enough to get mine for $800 with a finned cover and rebuild for much less, but I had also purchased a lot of other random parts from the seller. I'm sure you could find a good deal on the datsun parts and needs facebook page if you're patient. I've seen maybe a half dozen pop up for less than your price in the last 2-3 months.

Thanks Zetsaz, but it took some work to get it to that point. It was in a decently cleaned state when I somewhat recently bought it and I ended up having the finned cover vapor blasted and used some of Eastwood Automotives products to get it to it's current state.

P1030913_IRFV.jpg

P1030915_IRFV.jpg

P1030916_IRFV.jpg

P1030918_IRFV.jpg

P1030923_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

The ring gear bolts and holes might be a problem.  Nissan went to a 12

15 hours ago, 1980280ZXVQ35 said:

Question for everyone, will a Z31 LSD center fit any long nose R200 differential case? Would it fit in a 87-88 300ZX non-LSD R200 differential? 

87-88 300ZX would also be known as a Z31.  You're asking if a Z31 diff will fit in a Z31 case.

6 minutes ago, NewZed said:

The ring gear bolts and holes might be a problem.  Nissan went to a 12

87-88 300ZX would also be known as a Z31.  You're asking if a Z31 diff will fit in a Z31 case.

I'm aware of that, but I was wondering if an LSD would bolt directly into a non-LSD differential case or if parts would have to be interchanged to make it work. 

You were pretty specific with the years.  If you know what you're doing why do you keep asking questions?  You said that you've used MFactory diffs before so it sounds like you've been in to one.  

You can't have both.  You can't be the guy that knows and the guy that asks questions at the same time.

Edited by NewZed

3 hours ago, NewZed said:

You were pretty specific with the years.  If you know what you're doing why do you keep asking questions?  You said that you've used MFactory diffs before so it sounds like you've been in to one.  

You can't have both.  You can't be the guy that knows and the guy that asks questions at the same time.

I don't know where you think I"m coming across a guy who knows everything. I asked a question, you misinterpreted it and I clarified. I'm sorry if I offended you in someway.