HybridZ

Replace stock wiring with universal wiring kit?

I have a 1974 260z, I'm doing an LS swap.  I'm tempted to remove the stock chasis wiring, and add a universal wiring harness. Like this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Universal-Harness-Detailed-Instructions/dp/B01IDL6SUS

The advantages I see is obv. new wiring, new fuze block, there are all sorts of weird old electronics boxes that I have no idea what they do...

My big question is - I do want to drive this thing one day, how big of an undertaking is this actually?  I plan on replacing all the gauges, and I'd have to modify the harness for the steering column, specifically for the blinker switch.  I want it (the wiring) clean and tidy, and reliable.  But I'm not ready to do a full restore.  My vision is doing things in 3 or 4 stages: 1. swap and suspension. 2. interior.  3. body/exterior.  But when I take the dash out and see all the old crappy heater hoses, and ancient wiring, I have a hard time just putting everything back together without upgrading it.

If using the universal harness  is a relatively easy process, I think I'd like to do it now, but I thought I'd see if any of you have ACTUALLY done it, and if you had any insight. 

Thanks!

IMG_20200227_232555_7.jpg

I used the stock body harness for my LS swap. If your confident in wiring and understanding how circuits work, I would not recommend using the stock harness. It was really frustrating trying to find all the shorts and faulty wires that had developed over the past 40 years. Honestly, the hardest part of the wiring is the wipers because of the whole reverse polarity to park thing. If you can figure that out, lights and stuff are easy!

Edited by Whitley_280z_2+2

QUOTE "My big question is how big of an undertaking is this actually?"    I have done this job on a 280.  It is time consuming and requires one to keep his concentration on the job at hand.  You will need to follow basic instructions and pay close attention to detail like the color codes supplied with the kit.  This would be a good time to replace the carpet due to having to run the new wiring under it and the seats, etc.  Installing new, modern bulbs as you go will also be a big improvement.  This job isn't for anyone but if really want a reliable car body to go along with the new engine swap, go for it!  Wiring problems in these old z cars can and will drive your crazy.  

I have been researching replacing the body harness as I already did a LS swap and gunked up the wiring and Im now going back through and doing the body work. I believe the hardest part of swapping the wiring as stated is the wiper system. As such I kept the original wiper wires and will have to only provide a ground and a 12v switched. The second hardest I believe is everything else  in the column (lights, starter...) but there are several you tube videos on that.

From watching you tube videos, I believe it is easier to do a complete harness rebuild when conducting a swap than it is to integrate your gauges and engine harness.