HybridZ

Looking for Engine advice?

Rinna98

I was able to buy my car for a very good deal which left me with some extra money in my build budget, I have between 3-4K to spend on my motor. The car has new springs, shocks, bushing and brakes so for now the suspension in taken care of. This is my first Datsun, it’s a 260z with about 175k miles on the motor and it is currently out of the car. I was looking for some advice/ direction on what would give me the most bang for my buck. Any recommendations would be great! 

Thanks 

Welcome to the forum!  $3-4k to spend on the engine is pretty damn good.  First off you want to find out what kind of compression the engine has,  you are not necessarily looking for the highest numbers but consistency between the numbers. If the numbers are good then consider just replacing the main and conrod bearings leaving the rings and pistons alone and put some money into the head where the power is made.

Or, since you posted on Hybridz, put the L26 in the corner and pick up an engine with a lot more power and transplant it into you Z,

$3-4k will open you up to a wide range used engine/tranny combos.

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Welcome to the forum!  $3-4k to spend on the engine is pretty damn good.  First off you want to find out what kind of compression the engine has,  you are not necessarily looking for the highest numbers but consistency between the numbers. If the numbers are good then consider just replacing the main and conrod bearings leaving the rings and pistons alone and put some money into the head where the power is made.

Or, since you posted on Hybridz, put the L26 in the corner and pick up an engine with a lot more power and transplant it into you Z,

$3-4k will open you up to a wide range used engine/tranny combos.

The motor has good compression and pretty strong before I pulled it from the car, I took it out  when I pulled the auto tranny. I was looking to do an LS swap possibly but I think the swap with all cost will blow my budget out of the water.