HybridZ

Any local help around me? :)

I have a 1972 Datsun 240z with a v8 conversion that I purchased from a friend that moved away. It has sat in my garage for about a year and a half now, and I would really love to get it fired up and running :) He had taken the dashboard out to repaint the entire car and that never happened. I haven't been able to get the car to run since having it towed to me. I connected all harness plugs after re-mounting the dash, and have purchased the JTR manual along with multiple wiring diagrams in color. The starter turns over, and I do get lights on the dash as well as the head lights and tail lights. I do not get spark nor fuel it seems. Anybody close to Tyler, Texas want to help out ? :) I bet it is something trivial that I am overlooking. I am not a mechanic,  but am an enthusiast for sure.

I hope you do find a local who can help out, but in the meantime... 

What kind of motor is it?

Is it carbureted or fuel injected?

If carbureted, does it use a mechanical fuel pump or electric?

What kind of ignition is it using?

Is it mechanical or electric?

Was it for sure running before the dash removal?

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use one? :-) 

It is a crate motor that my friend says is rated at 280hp or so. It has a Mallory HEI distriibutor and an electric fuel pump mounted underneath by the fuel tank. The engine is Carbureted as well. I started reading the JTR v8 conversion manual again so maybe I can figure this out alone, but having a person along would be awesome too :)

What have you done so far to verify fuel and spark? It seems odd to me that you're lacking both, but the starter turns the motor over. Unfortunately since it's a swap, it's anyone's guess as to how both are wired.

Fuel:

240z came with mechanical pumps, but 72-73 did have unused wiring to the back. Mine is a 73 and I personally used the factory wiring to wire my electric fuel pump. Can you tell how yours is wired? Can you find any fuses / have you checked in the fuse panel area?

If you turn the key 2 clicks, can you hear the pump turn on?

Have you checked the fuel filter to make sure it isn't clogged?

If you pull the carb filter(s) and have someone crank the car, do you see any fuel flowing inside the carb?

Spark:

I assume the HEI distributor runs an MSD ignition and coil. Can you tell how it's wired? Can you find any fuses / have you checked in the fuse panel area?

If you turn the key 2 clicks, can you see any lights on the MSD unit indicating that it's powered on?

If you pull the coil plug wire (from the center of the dist) and place it near a grounded bolt (strut tower is usually a good one) and have someone crank the car, does it arc a spark?

Do you have a meter or test light?  If not, you should get one.  It's a basic, for the car also, not just the engine swap.  You'll need one.  A meter, preferably. 

If it's a full-size HEI distributor the coil will be under the distributor cap.  You'll want to confirm power to the coil, probably through the distributor's wiring connection.  A "true" HEI distributor is all self-contained, the coil and ignition module are all under the cap.  

Anyway, you need a meter really, just to get started.  You can waste a lot of time without one.