HybridZ

1982 280zx Rear Quarter Panel Rust

Hey Guys ,

May dad passed away a few years ago and left me his 280zx. It has some really bad rust on the rear quarter panels all around the small windows and rear corners. Floor pans and frame rails are also completely shot...Little bit of rust at the base of the wind shield but i can have a friend fab that entire piece. My question is this, Where can i buy the rear quarter panels and floorpans/rails??? Also, How hard is it to remove the quarter panels? Are they just tack welded in?? If so, it seems it would be very easy to replace for a good welder. Any help would be great! Getting a new frame isnt an option as it would not have the sentimental value it has now. Thanks guys

89828552_2598547797053391_6906956557620084736_o.jpg

Edited by Randallwvp

Zcar depot and zcarsource will have alot of that stuff and are good for original parts. Motorsport auto is good too, just sometimes are lil more money. Not sure about the quarter panel replacement, how it comes off. If it's not easy mayb look at using a quarter panel to get the pieces u need off it. They are unibody so there is no real frame. Just frame like structure that u will probably need to fix. Just keep it as simple as u can and do piece by piece. There is alot of places for rust on them. 

So you know the 280zx (s130 chassis) is not at all like the older 240, 260, or even the 280z. It's kind of the black sheep of the z's. It just looks like the older ones. I have the same car as you and it was my grandfather's from new so I feel your want to keep it for sentimental reasons. 

Goodluck, it's a good and fun car you have. try to do piece by piece. And save whatever you can cause some parts are not accessible anymore or cost alot because they are hard to get. 

Thanks for the fast reply! Ive considered buying a whole parts car and doing just that, cutting the parts i need. I rebuilt the engine in this car years ago and has stroker crank and custom rods/pistons along with a fully rebuilt 5 speed from an 83. Was my daily for about a year after he passed away but due to the rust on the floor and frame rails, i parked it. Moved from Florida to West Virginia 5 years ago. Just now got the car up here 2 days ago. Starting to work on getting the body rust free as best i can. I dont mind having to use fiberglass on SOME of the bad areas but replacing it with actual metal is always the best way to go. I am hoping to have it back on the road one of these days. The entire dash was stolen out of it and it also got infested with rats which ended up destroying most of the wiring....so lots of work to do. Im in real estate now so i have the capital to do the job...just unsure where to get everything and the process on the rust repair lol. ughhh

Edited by Randallwvp

• 2 months later...