HybridZ

What does your stereo system look like?

Hakone Motorsports

As I am looking to upgrade my radio in the '76 Z car, I would like to take a look at what you all did for a radio. 

Ideally, I would like to get an OEM radio (subtle plug if you have one) and upgrade the speakers, or go as far as a small 3" boat radio option in the dash. 

Regardless, post up what you have for both head units and speakers!! 

I still have my stock head unit, but it is simply a place holder.

I have a Bluetooth module feeding directly into a 1200W 4 channel amp and a "spare tire" sub in my spare tire well. Up front I have 5x7's under the fronts of each seat and 2-1/4" tweeters/mids in the dash vent pockets. In the rear I have two 6" speakers in the factory locations in the plastic side panels. The sound distribution is pretty good and the spare tire sub provides just enough bass.

Edited by lowrider

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Sony radio from a 98 Honda Civic. Fits easily, has a CD, clock, Aux pin input on the face. see pic attached. Pick your speakers according to expectation! Stock location at back side panels and under front seats. 

DDB013F1-5993-4C17-A86F-BF0EA092175D.jpeg

Edited by Ont240

• 3 weeks later...

My wife bought me a retro sound radio a few years ago.  Requires trimming your own faceplate but it’s as correct as one could ever ask for.   

bluetooth, MP3 whatever. Honestly it never get turned on, but looks great.   Light green writing really sets it apart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 on the retro sound. I just finished a complete restoration so I ran the mic up to the corner of the sun visor so the Bluetooth and hands free calling is a nice add. 

I also have tweeters in the dash vents (I wanted everything to look stock), 5-1/4 in the shallow kick panels, 6x9s behind the seats and a 12” sub with amp in the spare tire well. Best part is none of it noticeable.

I can find some photos of the install if any one is interested.

• 4 months later...