HybridZ

Fiat 124 into Modern Z

DaneVZ

Hey ya'll,

Big Z fan. But had an idea of taking a modern Fiat 124 and turning it into a 'Z'.  Any thoughts? Tried to see how closely it would match, but not sure it would be worth the effort.  Could be fun...

Put in a Before (124), an "After" and a Black and White conversion (to remove some of my Paint.net skillz :D.  Mods that would need to be done:

• Custom Roof with hatch
  • Remove convertible
  • Pseduo B pillar
  • Custom rear bumper
  • New wheels
  • Lowered
  • Other odds in ends (matching windshield color), gas tank options

Love the thoughts. I'm a classic Z car lover too. I owned a 74 260z for a while and loved it, but it was sooo rusted and didn't have the time to work on it.  Open to doing a reno again, but wanted to see what the community thought.  Note - I haven't driven a 124, and I hear they are underpowered somewhat...could be something to consider...

BW Conversion.png

After.png

Before.png

Edited by DaneVZ

Considering the fiat 124 is a mx5 (ND) with different panels, why not go for the mx5, should be cheaper and make custom front end and rear end so it doesn't look so much like a fiat 124 with a datsun roofline? it would be a mx5 underneath anyway, just more personal?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubergumgum said:

Considering the fiat 124 is a mx5 (ND) with different panels, why not go for the mx5, should be cheaper and make custom front end and rear end so it doesn't look so much like a fiat 124 with a datsun roofline? it would be a mx5 underneath anyway, just more personal?

V true.  Yea, just the headlighs on the fiat are already 'datsun-ish' but you're right - the miata is always voted more fun to drive and save some money and actually get the bumper.  Good thinking.

I don't see the point of this. If you want a Z, get a Z, if you want a Fiat 124, get a Fiat 124. You have two completely different body styles, one old, one new, at best, this is going to look like a cobbled together franken-car. I generally find that new parts stick out like a sore thumb on old cars, and vice versa. You'd be better off getting an MX5 RF, and doing something custom with that than trying to make a Z part fit, or just getting a regular MX5 and doing a custom hard top. You could take molds from a Z and make a fiberglass hardtop based off of that if you wanted, but cutting up a Z and trying to put the steel roof section on the roadster is a bad idea, and will result in one less Z available.