HybridZ

For the guys who want 6-speeds...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I, like many others, have decided to take on an RB26DETT swap. Having a perfect donor R33 clip in my garage ready to be picked apart, I want to get down and dirty with the sucker ASAP. But, like many of my other friends at this site (of which I am a long time viewer, but never took the time to register), I wanted a 6-speed transmission!

Having searched for about 2 hours a night for the past week, I found a viable source for what we need!

http://www.holinger.com.au/rwdgearboxes.html

The first gearbox on this page, I believe, only needs a custom bellhousing made, which shouldn't be too much of a problem. The second is a sequential 6-speed transmission! Myself being a fan of the clutch (and also on a limited budget), I've decided to go with the H-pattern.

I'll post more in about a week when I conferr with my expert mechanic (also known as my stepdad) about transmissions and what I've decided exactly.

-Vectorboy

Guest JAMIE T

In the states in would probably be easier to use a T56 from a 4th Gen F-body. Since an adapter/bellhousing will have to made anyway, why not? They are very strong gear boxes. Use a Pro 5.0 shifter. I've got one in my '94 F-body with a SPEC stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel. I am making a little over 350rwhp right now, and about that much torque.

sss510 has one behind his 3.0L L6, turbocharged, nitroused 510. They are factory issue in Dodge Vipers, 500ft/lb's torque. A manufacturer wouldn't put one in a car they have a warranty on if it wasn't durable.

I'm guessing you haven't looked into how much those transmissions actually cost...

You might want to explore that before you go into it with a full head of steam. Not cheap would be an understatement.

The GTS-t 5 speed will more than hold up. No, it may not be 6 speed, but how much is one gear worth to you? Are you willing to spend over $10,000 just for an extra gear?

If your lucky, you might be able to pick up a H pattern 6 speed plus bellhousing for less than 10k, but don't forget you ship it from Australia...

And that says nothing for how the Hollinger will fit in the Z trans tunnel. The GTS-t tranny fits, but barely, and the "ears" on the tunnel which previously attached the Z transmission must be cut off and a custom mount built. It is a close fit.

-Bob

RB26 swap in progress.

Guest empracing

hollingers are 20+ au$ and have no syncros good luck!

better of getting a lenco!!! that price was at least 2 years ago thye use em in v8 supercars for god sake

The RB25 manual box is - allegedly - the 2wd version of the GTR box, using the same internals. Subzero in Aus have a 10-sec R33 GTS-t skyline running a 3 litre bottom end, huge slicks and a huge turbo, and are still using this gearbox. It's not exactly a lightweight either. If you're hell-bent on a 6-speed, might I suggest trying the mkiv supra 6 speed (V160?) with a custom bellhousing to suit. While this gearbox may seem expensive, it's a world away from any of the hollinger boxes. Some of the fastest GTR's in the world use hollinger gearboxes, though renamed by jap tuning houses such as Tomei and sold as their own, and all of the V8 supercars (650hp, 7500rpm) use them. I think someone broke an input shaft in one of them last season (changing down to 1st for a very tight hairpin) and everyone was shocked. These things are bulletproof, and priced accordingly.

IMHO, the RB25 box will be fine. Some RB26-engined non-GTR skyline people are even using the RB26 box with a blanking plate covering up the transfer case connection, but I'm not sure how well the gearbox will cope with this arrangement...

why not go balls out and get a Liberty? or a GREX super sequential 11K ...*sigh*

*edit*

oh yeah --- IIRC the supra tranny code was W58...maybe that was the 5 speed?

Quaife 6 speed $10' date='175.00

T56 baby.[/quote']

im perfectly happy with a 280ZX 3.56/3.73/3.90 gear R200 witha upgraded diff... i mean that can take what? 400-600 ft lbs??

no one believes in bang for the buck go fast parts anymore!!

Guest empracing

definatly 5 speed

w55 57 and 58 i think the 58 is good its got

3.28 1st 1.89 2nd 1.27 3rd 1 4th and .78 overdrive and is good for about 300-350hp althow ive seen em behind 500+hp and they lived for a while

definatly 5 speed

w55 57 and 58 i think the 58 is good its got

3.28 1st 1.89 2nd 1.27 3rd 1 4th and .78 overdrive and is good for about 300-350hp althow ive seen em behind 500+hp and they lived for a while

I'm just going to use a ZX 5 speed with 3.54 gears...unless i can adapt a T56 to sit behind my 3.0 turbo and use a R200 w/o to much work

*sigh* choices.

Guest empracing

hey there was a link to a pic of a t56 on a L28 in here it was a cut and shut L series bellhousing i bet it would work but ide hate for an offical to look under there...anythings possable

hey there was a link to a pic of a t56 on a L28 in here it was a cut and shut L series bellhousing i bet it would work but ide hate for an offical to look under there...anythings possable

right but if its not easily possible (read cheap) im not really interested...if im going to spend more than 900 to get it to work....might as well go balls out and get a liberty box for it woo hoo

no one believes in bang for the buck go fast parts anymore!!

Me??? Of course I do!!! I am Mr. Bang F. Orthebuck! However if you MUST have a T56 it is obvious that you can make a T56 work for less than $11 grand.

I have an early 5 speed and am going to look for either a T5 or late model 5 NA 5 speed, for the better OD. The late 5 speed is also a close ratio trans, the T5 is not.

If I went V8 though, then I would spend the extra money to put in an LT1/T56, I know some older folks think 6 speeds are still overkill but I could make use of it. You can run some very nice rear gears with a 6 speed and still have crazy RPM on the freeway, my Camaro does something like 1700 RPM @ 80 MPH, stock rear 3.42 and a 26.1" rear tire OD.

Im with a lot of these guys, 6 speeds are cool but I would only swap one in if it was more compatible with the engine im swapping. the holinger,quiafe, grex, hks.. etc etc Trannies all cost upwards of 10k, a t56 can be bolted to just about any gm engine, for the rb25 swap just use its tranny, the 5spd from a gtst can handle upwards of 700 pounds of torque, companies like hks and trust make triple disc clutches, much easier to keep it. Hell id use that 5spd with the rb26 or rb20.The only other 6 spd id use besides the t56 is the v160 out of the 4th gen supra, and that can only really be used with the 1jzgte or 2jzgte since they share bellhousings, now that the 1jz swap into mk3 supras is becoming a little more popular( i think we have like 5 now) some of us are gonna switch to the v160, im sure a 1jz with mild bolt ons and the v160 would be MEAN on a road course/Auto-x.