HybridZ

Front strut replacement questions

Hi, since boarded in from the virus, one good result is I finally get to my do list on the 280Z! I took off the front strut towers to replace the struts and springs and all bushings. I had purchased the Energy front strut rod bushings but do NOT understand where these go from the repair manual diagram. They came in a pack of four see attached pic. Can easily see where the bump stop will go but not these... ?

Also, second concern is the inside of the strut tower has quite a bit of RUST in it and do not know how to deal with that...? The rears are now done and they were totally clean with no rust inside...

Any input would be most welcome! By the way, my car is a 75 280 2+2. Thanks!

IMG_3128.jpg

1 hour ago, JMortensen said:

Might want to read this before you install them:

Good to know thank you for sharing!  I have new rubber bushings on the TC rod already, so I will return these.  I thought they were for the struts (even called 'strut rod bushings').  

If you wanted, you could put one PU bushing on the "front" of the TC cup, and leave your new rubber bushing on the backside of the cup.  This minimizes the risk of damaging the cup due to the inflexibility of PU.

Regarding your second question....I don't know what your definition of "quite a bit" is; but how about removing the rust, painting, and if necessary, weld in some reinforcement sheet metal?  It's a pretty simple shape, so it should be easy to cut and fit the reinforcement pieces.

Edited by jhm
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, jhm said:

If you wanted, you could put one PU bushing on the "front" of the TC cup, and leave your new rubber bushing on the backside of the cup.  This minimizes the risk of damaging the cup due to the inflexibility of PU.

Regarding your second question....I don't know what your definition of "quite a bit" is; but how about removing the rust, painting, and if necessary, weld in some reinforcement sheet metal?  It's a pretty simple shape, so it should be easy to cut and fit the reinforcement pieces.

Hey thanks for the input!  I will try that.  Basically its just surface rust inside the shock tower and I can't get anything in it to sand it out... I'm concerned it will get worse so thinking about putting some POR in it?  I could treat it with POR 3 step or maybe just hit it with some rustoleum spray... thoughts ?

Stick a piece of all-thread in a drill and use two nuts to attach a piece of abrasive material to the all-thread.

It took 30+ years for that rust to build up.  Be careful with the POR if you put it on too thick you won't be able to get the shock in the tube.  Get it too thick on the bottom and your gland nut won't fit.

I may have misunderstood your original post.  Is the rust inside your strut tube (where the shock is installed), or on the underside of your strut tower?  My earlier response assumed it was the latter; but now I'm thinking it's the former.  Sorry, my bad.

As Newzed stated, you can remove the rust mechanically; or use a liquid chemical product to neutralize the rust.  After it's cleaned up and painted, a little oil inside the tube will help prevent future oxidation and help with heat dissipation.

2 hours ago, jhm said:

I may have misunderstood your original post.  Is the rust inside your strut tube (where the shock is installed), or on the underside of your strut tower?  My earlier response assumed it was the latter; but now I'm thinking it's the former.  Sorry, my bad.

As Newzed stated, you can remove the rust mechanically; or use a liquid chemical product to neutralize the rust.  After it's cleaned up and painted, a little oil inside the tube will help prevent future oxidation and help with heat dissipation.

Thank you !!  Will do!