HybridZ

Driveshaft length for R200 Short Nose swap

I think it's because there are so many variables...

I have the sort nose R200, but also an LS3 and T56.  Even with that specific engine/tranny combination, driveshaft length will still vary depending on what engine mounts are used.

If your car is completely stock except for the diff, someone might have measurements for you.  But it does seem like the safest approach would be to mock everything up and take measurements.  Most places that make custom shafts move pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, Dwayne_The_Rock_Datsun said:

Upgrading to a R200 short nose VLSD (90 300ZX NA) in my 78 280z 4 speed

You could take some measurements.  If you don't have the short nose ask someone out here to measure a short nose.

If you're buying a short nose mounting kit the kit maker should have the number for you.

If you're building your own mounts, make sure to read all of the threads about problems with mounting the short nose.  They tend to tear out the old mounting holes due to the increased leverage.  Lengthening the dirveshaft is the least of your potential problems.

4 hours ago, Ironhead said:

I think it's because there are so many variables...

I have the sort nose R200, but also an LS3 and T56.  Even with that specific engine/tranny combination, driveshaft length will still vary depending on what engine mounts are used.

If your car is completely stock except for the diff, someone might have measurements for you.  But it does seem like the safest approach would be to mock everything up and take measurements.  Most places that make custom shafts move pretty quickly.

Ultimately the goal is to go with a LS6 T56 but for now I just want to cruise.

Measuring would probably be the quickest way.

Thanks

If you want to save some money you might find that a 2+2 propeller shaft from a 300ZX can be cut down.  Instead of having a custom shaft made.  Just a thought.  Propeller shaft dimensions are in the FSM's or available through Nissan.