HybridZ

dash light

Hi all,

I have removed my dash out of my 280z. Reason, wanted to fix wherever was broken (mainly lighting and clock not working), and put a dash cover on it. 

While the dash was still in the car, i noticed few things were not working (as I am still working to rebuild the car, all lights are not connected, like headlights, and blinkers). I connected one headlight and one blinker to check. Blinkers as running lights work, mid beam works and high beam also. Hazard light works and blinks. But indicator does not, stays on. I know the relays is broken and am waiting for delivery of a new one. But when I put on the lights, the dash lights of the oil pressure, temp, fuel tank, clock and volt meter all work.

But the dash light of the speedometer and tachometer do not work. The blinker lights in the tachometer, the high beam light in the speedo don't work. 

With the dash out, I checked the lights individually. Found only 1 broken. All others were fine. I also measured the resistance of the "dimmer" and that worked to spec. 

Anyone have a clue  or common known issue why, or hint where to start narrowing this down to find out why my dash lights don't work?

Any help is welcome.

Cheers, joost 

Just went through the same kind of stuff on my 280z. Getting all new bulbs for all indicators and hazards helped a lot. Other than that I would try switching the turn signal and hazard flasher units and see if you can get the turn signals working. 

For the dash lights, only thing I can think of is make sure the sockets are fully pressed into the gauge housing. I’ve had the sockets come loose and then they don’t have a ground connection. Also checking wires for continuity is always helpful