HybridZ

Silvermine motors electric power steering install for 240Z and 280Z

I received the power steering kit from Silvermine motors today. 

I will post install pictures, installing in my 240Z LS2/ T56 with Hoke performance motor mounts.

If anyone has questions on the install let me know.

20200420_141914.jpg

Edited by mrk3cobra
more descriptive

Thanks for the detailed pics. Seems like there is very little clearance to the headers. Does everything clear even when the engine is under load? You must have very stiff bushings on your engine mounts If there is no hitting.

Yes you are correct, I have about 1/8" clearance. I was told the kit would move the steering shaft away from the headers by a small amount. The kit i received did not offset the steering shaft it is in the exact same location as before installing the kit. I am asking Silvermine motors if they are selling different kits. This was one of the reasons I went with this kit was to have some more clearance at the headers. I am sure they will respond to my question on the offset firewall bracket.

I started the car and tested at idle. Steering feels very smooth, no noise, steering shaft and motor very stable. At idle feels like a modern day car, easy to steer with one hand. I will test on the road later this week when I finish some other work. Anyone thinking of installing EPS on your 240Z and want me to test something let me know.

Pete

I do not think you would want full power steering at freeway speeds. You can buy a GPS speed sensor with the kit. I think it only adds $45. I would think if I disconnect the speed signal the EPS will get an error code. There is a red fault  light that comes with the EPS kit. I do not have enough information on the kit if it would default into a predetermined setting if it does not see the speed signal. Silvermine motors may have more information.