HybridZ

280zx non turbo distributor

Mayolives

I posted my need for a distributor magnet assembly and recd. no replies.  So, how bout a complete distributor from a 79 through 83 280zx, non turbo car. The magnet ring under the stator must not be broken, because that's what I need.  If you have one and need to check the magnet ring, be very careful when removing the 3 screws on the stator. If you use an impact device to free the screws, the magnet will probably break. A little WD-40 or other will free them.

NewZed.….Thank you for the response to my magnet assembly question.  I read through the entire tread you referred to at ClassicZcar.  It mentioned two places that might be able to help me.  Both sources were a dead end.  The thread also suggested a antique distributor rebuilder in MI who said he could not rework my dizzy due to having no source for my broken magnet assembly.  Looks like I need to locate another distributor or spend the dollars to install a stand alone ignition system that I haven't begun to research.  Do you have a suggestion to the least expensive system to use?  Thank you for your help, TB.

I thought that he said he got a magnet.  Maybe he got the last one or they've stopped business due to the virus.

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/22158s6700

A 280Z distributor will work just as well as your 280ZX distributor.  The main difference is that the 280Z unit has an external ignition module.  Might be easier to find a 280Z unit.

@borini63 used to have spare parts.

NewZed,  I may have one in my parts collection from a 78 280z.  What can you tell me about installing it?   I know how to put the 280z one in and how to time it after it's running.  But I don't know about wiring it. The stock 280zx one has the "IC ignition unit" mounted on the side with a 2 prong connection. Will that wiring connect to the 280z unit?  Thank you for your advice, TB.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:07 PM, Mayolives said:

I posted my need for a distributor magnet assembly and recd. no replies.  So, how bout a complete distributor from a 79 through 83 280zx, non turbo car. The magnet ring under the stator must not be broken, because that's what I need.  If you have one and need to check the magnet ring, be very careful when removing the 3 screws on the stator. If you use an impact device to free the screws, the magnet will probably break. A little WD-40 or other will free them.

Here's a pretty good writeup.  The most important part is the picture I think.  There's almost too many words.

Sometimes, if your distributor has been rebuilt you'll have blue wires instead of red and green.  But they'll be red and green back inside the distributor where they spllced them in.  Make sure that the mounting plate is well-grounded.  That's where all of the current from the coil passes through.  The C, B, W, and G that he shows will be molded in to the GM HEI  module.  

The red and green wires from the distributor trigger the module through the G and W connection,  and the B and C connections control the coil.  There will be wires from the coil's negative terminal back in to the harness, those trigger the tach and the ECU.  Just leave those as they are.

http://www.sonic.net/~kyle/ztech.html

image.png.29645c4284ff37b885540ae21722d9c0.png

NewZed,  I've located a rebuilt one (77  78).  I noticed it had two pickups. Do you think this will do the job? ORIGINAL-280z-OEM-REMANUFACTURED-DISTRIBUTOR-31-617-by-cardone-77-78-datsun-dual thumbnail 1 Also, this distributor doesn't appear to have the "black box" that the diagram you showed with B & G connections.  I suspect it's a control unit.  I have FSM s for 1977 & 1978.  Both show "transistor ignition units" and how they function with the distributor circuit.  So this is a big question mark for me and what I will need.  I'm amazed at how little I know about some parts of these cars, even after never being without having at least one z car in my driveway for decades.  I even have a few today in various stages of renovation, etc.   Thank you for your help, TB.

datsun 280z distributor ebay.jpg

Edited by Mayolives

I hope I'm not leading you down a messy path.  This module swap is fairly easy if you have electrical experience, but might be a bit tough if you don't.  It is a very common ignition module swap it works on many different brands of car and motorcycle.  If you want to do some more searching and reading, use "GM HEI module swap" on the Google.

I assume that this is for your 79 280ZX?  If so, it should work fine, using just one of the pickups, using just two of those three wires.  You can just leave the other one disconnected (tape up the end to avoid shorting the other pickup).  The "black box" is a GM HEI module, that you can buy from any auto parts store.  Ask for a 1977 Camaro ignition module.  It has two holes in it for mounting inside a GM distributor but you'll be using those holes to mount it close to your coil and distributor.  The mounting screws need a good ground circuit, so don't mount it to plastic or rubber, find a good solid metal spot for it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1977,camaro,5.0l+305cid+v8,1035111,ignition,ignition+control+module+(icm),7172

image.png.e070b05ef299219f2f38355ada238f87.png

Edited by NewZed

Actually, I have years of wiring experience from a total body rewire on my 77 to many other repair deals. I'm well stocked with connectors, tools, shrinks, test eq and etc.  You have provided a "distributor wiring install for dummies" guide that will scoot me through the process.  Thank you for all your advice, TB. 

I am pretty sure I have a 79-83 non turbo 280ZX distributor that I had swapped into my 77 280z. Ended up selling the motor and no longer need the distributor.

I am going to grab some pictures of it because I dont recall if it is a NON turbo 280zx distributor but from what I understood, that was the one used to swap into the S30 280z to eliminate the points ignition module correct? I "believe" it has a brand new magnet in it that has effectively zero running miles on it as I had replaced that and the stator years ago when I first got it (dont ask me for the source, I cant remember back that far D:). Either way, i'd love to sell it to keep someone else's car on the road.

• 1 year later...